Sump question

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm creating a new double remote sump in my garage. First off, the reason for this is I currently have a 90 gallon reef set up in a custom cabinet in my living room. The sump was installed in the cabinet below the tank but after a year the cabinet is beginning to show signs of distress due to humidity and salt creep. The hinges are already rusting out and the noise is something my wife wants to disappear. Simple solution, relatively simple, is to move the sump to the garage directly below. I decided to supplement my Trigger 26 sump with an old 60 gallon tank that was a reef tank in a previous iteration. This will double the water volume of the main tank, approximately. The question is how best to plumb in the chiller. My original pump doesn't have the umph to return the water with 12' of head so I purchase an additional pump. Ideally I'd like to use the original pump to take water from the Trigger 26 through a UV sterilizer, calcium reactor and then to the 60 gallon sump. I would like to run the main return pump through the chiller to the display tank and locate my temp probe in the overflow for the display tank. The problem is the max. tubing size for the chiller is 3/4" and I'm concerned I won't get a sufficient flow through this tubing, especially considering the 12' head. The pump in theory could deliver 1000 gph at that head but with the chiller en route I'm not so sure about that. I could run the chiller in the sump to sump loop but I'm concerned about temperature lag between the tank and the sump. I'd hate to have the chiller run too long before it realizes it should turn off. I'm hoping to get everything set up this week with the hope of being able to make the big switch over within a day to avoid having too much of a delay. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
display.jpg

Current display with sump below.
garage location.jpg

New location in garage.

DSC_0476_small.jpg

OP
OP
reefruss

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why that last picture was there, it's an old one.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chiller has a specified flow rate....which I'll guess is less than the return flow you want. Need to rethink your plumbing.

OP
OP
reefruss

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The max, is 960 gph so I'm probably going to in specs with the head plus the pump is adjustable so I could dial it back if it actually was more than that,

OP
OP
reefruss

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is using 3/4" tubing it might be way less than that.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back