Chiller output very low

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1HP chiller plumbed all the way outside. I just noticed the flow is extremely slow. I saw a bunch of snails inside the chiller a while ago inside the clear tubing, but I’m not sure if that’s the issue since the flow was never slow until now.

I switched the output and input of the chiller to try to back flush it, but the flow is still extremely slow in the output (the water that flows back to the sump).

Would switching the pump to a high pressure pump be wise to flush the chiller out? I’m not sure how I’d go about making the chiller water flow faster. The return pumps are clean.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1HP chiller plumbed all the way outside. I just noticed the flow is extremely slow. I saw a bunch of snails inside the chiller a while ago inside the clear tubing, but I’m not sure if that’s the issue since the flow was never slow until now.

I switched the output and input of the chiller to try to back flush it, but the flow is still extremely slow in the output (the water that flows back to the sump).

Would switching the pump to a high pressure pump be wise to flush the chiller out? I’m not sure how I’d go about making the chiller water flow faster. The return pumps are clean.
I think you may need to take it off line and work on it away from the tank. If there are snail shells plugging the flow getting them dislodged may be difficult and there is possibly a lot of gunk (technical term for "detritus") also inside the chiller. You don't want to put that back in the tank.

I'm not sure, but chlorine may help, and if that didn't work I would rinse that out and try muriatic acid to descale the insides of the heat exchangers?

I have never done this, so consider these ideas as untested possibilities that may have significant risks associated with implementation?????

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just found the issue. There are plates and plates of coralline that flaked off and are blocking the tubing.

I need to find a way to flush the entire chiller line with muriatic acid. I have no idea how I’m going to manage this task.

The coralline grew from the sunlight outside.

IMG_8080.jpeg
IMG_8079.jpeg

This part is just caked with pieces of coralline algae.

IMG_8081.jpeg

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tub or bucket near the tank with a pump. Just create a loop. You might need to use more acid after the initial amount goes to work.

I used to reverse flush my chillers with a bit of muriatic and a hose every year or so. A good amount of gunk can settle in there. With the chiller outside already, this should be fairly easy.

A squeeze on those hoses with some pliers where the coralline is accumulating will break them up, but they have to go somewhere.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tub or bucket near the tank with a pump. Just create a loop. You might need to use more acid after the initial amount goes to work.

I used to reverse flush my chillers with a bit of muriatic and a hose every year or so. A good amount of gunk can settle in there. With the chiller outside already, this should be fairly easy.

A squeeze on those hoses with some pliers where the coralline is accumulating will break them up, but they have to go somewhere.
Thanks, Jda. :D

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to get RO/DI in a 5 gallon bucket. Then I’ll insert a pump and both input and output in the same bucket. I’ll add acid to the bucket and let the chiller flow through overnight.

Then tomorrow, I’ll put the input pump in a brute of RO/DI, and I’ll put the output in an empty container. Then I’ll flush out any acid.

Then I’ll do a final flush with saltwater.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid to the rescue! The water is flowing SO fast again!!

It wasn’t easy. It took about 20 min until the water started flowing quick. The cause was from the compaction of the coralline

I’m going to let the acid flow through overnight.

IMG_8083.jpeg
IMG_8084.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiller is back! It’s working SO good now. I’m going to cover the tubing outside with insulator.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back