Help Help Help

non2os13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home from the hospital when I have been inpatient all week. I walk in the door and all of my inverts are closed up. All my fish are hiding in the top corner of the tank. I looked at my inkbird and the water temp is 91 degrees!
My return pump for my
Aqua euro USA chiller had a clogged impeller and I don’t know how long it has been inoperable!
I just got the pump cleaned out and it’s running again but, my tank is not looking good. I did a 10 gallon water change that dropped the temp to 86 degees. Can I add a few ice cubes to help cool it down faster or will that cause more problems than help?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home from the hospital when I have been inpatient all week. I walk in the door and all of my inverts are closed up. All my fish are hiding in the top corner of the tank. I looked at my inkbird and the water temp is 91 degrees!
My return pump for my
Aqua euro USA chiller had a clogged impeller and I don’t know how long it has been inoperable!
I just got the pump cleaned out and it’s running again but, my tank is not looking good. I did a 10 gallon water change that dropped the temp to 86 degees. Can I add a few ice cubes to help cool it down faster or will that cause more problems than help?
Yes, that works. Add fans too for added cooling

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp will cool down by itself in a few hours. I wouldn't add ice cubes, as most likely they are made of tap water which could add chemicals and heavy metals into the tank. It all depends on the tank size though. I would reccomend fans pointed at the water surface instead.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no chiller -- floating ice in sealed ZipLoc bags is one common method,,, but you have a chiller that seems to be functioning now so let it ride.
Ah, yes. Put the ice in a bag. That will help alot. Didn't think of that lol.

OP
OP
N

non2os13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the temp down to 81 now. The tank is an aio Red Sea max 250. It still has the factory hood with leds replacing the t5 setup. Looks like some of my clean up crew got cooked and possibly a bubble tip. Everything else is waking back up.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back