Help with toadstool

marcelo10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers I need some help to try figure out a problem I have with my toad stools I have 3 of them is been almost 3 months since they haven’t been opening … the last 2 weeks they have been opening slowly but not fully open … my paremeters are stable

Salt 1.025
Temp 78
Calcium 455
Nitrate 15ppm
Phosphate 0.07
Alk 8.5

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the tank and what lights are you using? Toadstool are pretty finicky but resilient. They like the water to be on the dirty side are far as nitrates. So some info on your export method may help. For the lights, IME they like good light. some like high PAR while others don’t care. With all of that being said, sometimes they just close up for weeks at a time for sometimes no reason.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you have adequate lighting and your test measurements are correct, the only other possible issue that I can think of would be flow. What are you using to provide flow for them? They need at least moderate flow to stay healthy. Always recommend double checking you test results in a situation like this with either a different set of test kits (at least for Alk and Ca.), Take to a LKFS so they can check it, or even an ICP test.

OP
OP
marcelo10

marcelo10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the tank and what lights are you using? Toadstool are pretty finicky but resilient. They like the water to be on the dirty side are far as nitrates. So some info on your export method may help. For the lights, IME they like good light. some like high PAR while others don’t care. With all of that being said, sometimes they just close up for weeks at a time for sometimes no reason.
The tank is been running for over 5 years I have two ai hydra 32 and for export I have filter socks and a skimmer and a reactor with roa for phosphate .

OP
OP
marcelo10

marcelo10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you have adequate lighting and your test measurements are correct, the only other possible issue that I can think of would be flow. What are you using to provide flow for them? They need at least moderate flow to stay healthy. Always recommend double checking you test results in a situation like this with either a different set of test kits (at least for Alk and Ca.), Take to a LKFS so they can check it, or even an ICP test.
For flow I’m using two ecotech mp40 is a 90 gallon tank … I turn one of them of and have one running at like 60%

OP
OP
marcelo10

marcelo10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_5888.jpeg
    IMG_5888.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 28

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello reefers I need some help to try figure out a problem I have with my toad stools I have 3 of them is been almost 3 months since they haven’t been opening … the last 2 weeks they have been opening slowly but not fully open … my paremeters are stable

Salt 1.025
Temp 78
Calcium 455
Nitrate 15ppm
Phosphate 0.07
Alk 8.5
Increase white intensity a little but Moreso, when this happens, its often due to inadequate water flow. Take a turkey baster and give their tops gentle bursts which likely have filmed over and may even have sediment. Thereafter, increase water flow or direct more flow towards them - Not at them and you should see change in 1-2 days

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back