Sump/Refugium Enclosed versus not

JaimeIsNew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I was trying to find out the pros and cons of closing off my sump area. Currently it is open and I’m wondering if I can close it off (sliding plywood door or something) so that no little kids or animals muck around with the electrical cords, gadgets, and sump itself.

As far as getting air circulated and such, I recognize this wouldn’t maybe be idea, so I’m wondering what y’all recommend and any advice that way - THANKS!

jaime

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking just enclosing where the sump is located, or closing off the top of the sump?

The first probably wouldn't be an issue except moisture from evaporation. Closing off the top sump wouldn't necessarily be bad either, as long as you have adequate surface agitation and the display is an open top, or your running a skimmer.

Close it off, if you see a drop in PH(CO2 adding up), then you know you shouldn't do it.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in my home office so it is enclosed due to noise (under the stand). However, the back of the stand is open so some fresh air can get in there.

And if you do enclose it and see the pH drifting down, you can always run tubing from your skimmer to a source of fresh air.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump sits in a "closed" cabinet with doors -- although the back is open. Covering the sump itself is an interesting thought. I've seen folks that extend the skimmer air intake to get "fresh air" which suggests that the air brought in through the skimmer is the most effective way of air exchange in the sump. So a cover should be okay.

OP
OP
JaimeIsNew

JaimeIsNew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in my home office so it is enclosed due to noise (under the stand). However, the back of the stand is open so some fresh air can get in there.

And if you do enclose it and see the pH drifting down, you can always run tubing from your skimmer to a source of fresh air.

Thanks for the response! I meant closing off the area (not top) I’m going to see if a picture attaches to show you.

F99D3F9C-F9CD-4804-9794-0BE907068FEE.jpeg

OP
OP
JaimeIsNew

JaimeIsNew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry everyone, I still suck at using this forum, but appreciate all the help even if it seems like I’m responding awkwardly ;)

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry everyone, I still suck at using this forum, but appreciate all the help even if it seems like I’m responding awkwardly ;)
No worries! And welcome to R2R. People are always willing to help. From your picture, I don't think you should have an issue. But I've only been at this for just over a year -- so definitely a newbie in this group!

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that area has lots of foot traffic (esp little kids and animals), then yes, I'd enclose it. Using plywood or something like that is not going to make it air tight, so wouldn't worry about lack of air flow.

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is in an enclosed cabinet. I have a computer fan in the left side, blowing some fresh air in, and an opening in the wall on the back right side. It's not a lot of air movement (rated at ~60 cfm but I doubt it's that high) but it does seem to help with humidity and temperature.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! I meant closing off the area (not top) I’m going to see if a picture attaches to show you.

F99D3F9C-F9CD-4804-9794-0BE907068FEE.jpeg

Thanks! If you do enclose the back of your sump, make sure your sump gets plenty of fresh air for oxygen exchange, temp control and mold prevention. Maybe install a computer fan for oxygen circulation. Good luck!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back