Sump refugium layout- help and ideas!

K1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently been given a saltwater aquarium to take over. I was a complete newbie prior to this. Over the past few weeks I have spent time fixing cyano, eliminating aiptasia, installing a skimmer and removing a tonne of rock that has been thrown in. I now want to add a refugium in the sump
20201031_112226.jpg
. I would love to build my own completely as I live making and creating things.
I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on the beat layout, placement of baffles etc... I have looked at numerous diagrams, read many articles and watched hundreds of videos - so I am looking for any tried and tested ideas or words of wisdom to be going on with!
20200928_185539.jpg

virtual reality

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing in the middle section of your sump. With all the live rock in the aquarium
you really don't need all that rock in that middle section of your sump. How long has your tank been up and running? I would turn the middle section to a refuge.

Also, welcome to R2R.

welcome.gif

OP
OP
K1991

K1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle section of the sump is already a rudimentary refugium.

Remove the extra rock, leave the sand, add some macro(probably chaeto), add a light to grow the algae, and you have a refugium.
That is what I was initially going to do, I've ordered a light and got a starter pack of chaeto coming as soon as I'm ready- but ideally I want my skimmer after the refugium and not sure I can do that with the sump I've already got?? X

OP
OP
K1991

K1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing in the middle section of your sump. With all the live rock in the aquarium
you really don't need all that rock in that middle section of your sump. How long has your tank been up and running? I would turn the middle section to a refuge.

Also, welcome to R2R.

welcome.gif
That is what I was going to do, but want the skimmer after the refugium? The tank itself has been running for about 7 years but hasnt really had much TLC given to it. We literally lifted it from one house and into mine x

virtual reality

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could swap the skimmer around to the right side. It depends how big of a refuge you want.
You could also pull the sump and change your baffles to a new spot. The skimmer is not going to pull out everything before it goes to the refuge.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back