8461b639-8f2f-4a07-94fa-f044f5dabc3a-png.3114151

8461B639-8F2F-4A07-94FA-F044F5DABC3A.png

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what kind of water you want to run through it. If my math is right, that's only 26 gallons total volume, and you won't be running it at max fill height. A low turnover, low biolode tank. Yeah that could work. Anything above that I would say that is too small.

Id put a 40 breeder under a 150.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems on the small side.

The most pressing issue is it’s so much smaller than the DT that you won’t have anywhere near enough spare capacity to absorb water siphoned down from your DT when the pumps turn off. You’re going to have a major flood risk, and I wouldn’t trust a check valve given the significant financial damage a flood can cause. It also can’t host a refugium, if that’s something you’re going to want.

If you can fit it under your stand then a 40 Breeder might be a better choice - a little longer and wider, more space for things you might want to do with the tank, and you can hit up your local glass store to get baffles fairly economically and more cushion for absorbing siphon flow.

Even a 60 breeder (wait til Petco’s quarterly half price sale) might be where you want to be for a 150 gallon tank - same height and width as a 40 breeder but a foot longer so plenty of space for a refugium along with compartments for skimmers and so on and will be able to take a lot more siphon from the DT.

150 gallons is a decent water quantity and presumably will host an investment in stocking, you’re going to want a significant life support system keeping it going.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OrlandoAIOReef

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
Seems on the small side.

The most pressing issue is it’s so much smaller than the DT that you won’t have anywhere near enough spare capacity to absorb water siphoned down from your DT when the pumps turn off. You’re going to have a major flood risk, and I wouldn’t trust a check valve given the significant financial damage a flood can cause. It also can’t host a refugium, if that’s something you’re going to want.

If you can fit it under your stand then a 40 Breeder might be a better choice - a little longer and wider, more space for things you might want to do with the tank, and you can hit up your local glass store to get baffles fairly economically and more cushion for absorbing siphon flow.

Even a 60 breeder (wait til Petco’s quarterly half price sale) might be where you want to be for a 150 gallon tank - same height and width as a 40 breeder but a foot longer so plenty of space for a refugium along with compartments for skimmers and so on and will be able to take a lot more siphon from the DT.

150 gallons is a decent water quality and presumably will host an investment in stocking, you’re going to want a significant life support system keeping it going.
anks yaa I was thinking they were on the small side & was considering 40b & getting the sump baffle kit , wasn’t sure if it was hard to do, wish my stand was a little bigger so I could fit the 44” sumps but my stand is divided into 2 40” sections :(

OP
OP
OrlandoAIOReef

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems on the small side.

150 gallons is a decent water quality and presumably will host an investment in stocking, you’re going to want a significant life support system keeping it going. Depends on what kind of water you want to run through it. If my math is right, that's only 26 gallons total volume, and you won't be running it at max fill height. A low turnover, low biolode tank. Yeah that could work. Anything above that I would say that is too small.
Id put a 40 breeder under a 150.
What about these? Only one I don’t really like is the ar300 because I can’t see return pump area but it does come with skimmer

Attachments

• 47E6206E-976B-4D65-A864-5A4F9F5A2D8F.png
    47E6206E-976B-4D65-A864-5A4F9F5A2D8F.png
    452 KB · Views: 23
  • D9C7F4F7-B896-4596-AA19-C2FAC60BCF70.png
    D9C7F4F7-B896-4596-AA19-C2FAC60BCF70.png
    446.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 591AE90F-6A24-4ACB-AA91-DA0DACD433CD.png
    591AE90F-6A24-4ACB-AA91-DA0DACD433CD.png
    505.5 KB · Views: 19

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back