Sump suggest. Skimz up34 or trigger systems 34 emerald?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ice fish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Which sump? Skimz up34 or trigger emerald 34?

  • Trigger systems emerald 34

    Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Skimz up34

    Votes: 2 28.6%

  • Total voters
    7

ice fish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 8, 2015
Messages
308
Reaction score
171
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torn between which one. Anyone have either that can lend a ear on them? I couldnt find anything on the skimz sump. I like the price range of it as well as how it looks but its hard to pass up the trigger system as well. What would you guys choose?
 
No personal experience yet but I just ordered a trigger ruby 36 for my new tank. It looks to be more comparable to the skimz and it is the same price. What makes you want the emerald over the ruby?
 
The layout mostly. I like how the trigger system has the skimmer before the refugium and you can add some mud/sand to it (I have mangroves im growing so kinda need that) Where as I THINK the skimz seems to have a hole at the bottom for flow which might interfere with having a sand bottom refugium
 
The ruby also is set up it seems backwards for what i want as my piping would be on the left side not the right.
 
So the ruby 36s is set up in the same orientation and layout as the skimz: skimmer -> Refug -> return from left to right. The ruby 36 e or Elite looks to be set up the other way and the skimmer comes after the refug. So check out the regular ruby 36s, which is the same general layout and same price as the skimz

http://www.triggersys.com/test/ruby-specs/
 
The skimz is set up drain-refugium-skimmer-return
 
I like how the trigger system has the skimmer before the refugium and you can add some mud/sand to it (I have mangroves im growing so kinda need that)

Gotcha. All I'm saying is if this is the layout you want, the Ruby 36s gives you that layout at the same price of the skimz.
 
Unfortunately they dont sell those on BRS though. Just the elites. Hard to pass up free shipping as well as a discount i got there since ive ordered a few things from them.
 
The skimmer section isnt adjustable to the height my skimmer needs to be.
 
Bump. Anyone have experience with the skimz sump?
 
Im really considering doing the skimz since it would match my skimmer and it seems well made. I would really like to hear of anyone that has one.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new