Sump to basement - planning questions

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I am planning a bit of an overhaul of my tank set up and need some advice.

The plan is to set up two tanks on the main floor (above the basement) of my house, and move the sump to the basement.
The tanks will be an 80 gallon (already running) and a new 180 gallon (to be set up).

I would want to run both tanks off of the same return pump. How would I go about calculating how big of a return pump I need? I believe I will need to know the vertical height coupled with the gph flow needed for the tanks, but I am unclear how to determine the size of the pump based on that.

Additionally, what size pvc is recommended for such a set up?

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine that would have to be a massive return pump. I'm doing something similar, but only running one tank (160), but I plan on using dual return pumps for redundancy.

I'm looking at the Performance Pro Cascade series of pump. For piping I'm running 1.5"

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine that would have to be a massive return pump. I'm doing something similar, but only running one tank (160), but I plan on using dual return pumps for redundancy.

I'm looking at the Performance Pro Cascade series of pump. For piping I'm running 1.5"

Can I use two pumps from a single sump, once for each tank? Or will that cause issues?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I am planning a bit of an overhaul of my tank set up and need some advice.

The plan is to set up two tanks on the main floor (above the basement) of my house, and move the sump to the basement.
The tanks will be an 80 gallon (already running) and a new 180 gallon (to be set up).

I would want to run both tanks off of the same return pump. How would I go about calculating how big of a return pump I need? I believe I will need to know the vertical height coupled with the gph flow needed for the tanks, but I am unclear how to determine the size of the pump based on that.

Additionally, what size pvc is recommended for such a set up?
You could start by measuring the vertical height from your sump to the tank inlet, then adding a few feet of head pressure for elbows, etc. You will need to decide how many tank turnover per hour you need. Then compare to some pump curves. I use danner mag drives from my basement sump to my 180. I run both 9.5 and 18 models. I run 2 pumps for redundancy. They are relatively economical and reliable. Since I was somewhat limited on space, I ran a 3/4” line and 1” line from my pumps. I’ve also used little giant and iwaki pumps in the past. Iwaki makes great pumps, but I now prefer my submersible mag drives. Fluval is another brand to look at.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to calculate the net head pressure (both height and resistance), but something like Iwaki or PanWorld will certainly suffice. Whether you go dual pumps, or split the return from a single pump is mostly up to you - either can work. Either way, the larger the pipe diameter, the less resistance and more flow against height. I'd go 1 1/2" if you can, then split to dual 1" to each tank.

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to calculate the net head pressure (both height and resistance), but something like Iwaki or PanWorld will certainly suffice. Whether you go dual pumps, or split the return from a single pump is mostly up to you - either can work. Either way, the larger the pipe diameter, the less resistance and more flow against height. I'd go 1 1/2" if you can, then split to dual 1" to each tank.

Running dual pumps (one for each tank) would be a preferred route, in my opinion. But does it cause any problems? If one is off for maintenance, or vice versa.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual pumps (each with a check valve) going to a manifold-style diverter to adjust flow requirements to each tank was my thought. Was actually going to ask on here. Fig'd small loss in flow due to check valves, but have redundancy of needing two pumps to fail before I would lose flow to DTs.

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual pumps (each with a check valve) going to a manifold-style diverter to adjust flow requirements to each tank was my thought. Was actually going to ask on here. Fig'd small loss in flow due to check valves, but have redundancy of needing two pumps to fail before I would lose flow to DTs.

that was what i am leaning towards as well.

Heart of Dixie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure your sump can hold all of water that is in the lines and siphons back when you shut the pump(s) down. There are some good calculators on line that calculate head loss due to vertical height , horizontal length, fittings, etc. along with pump choices. I moved my sump downstairs a few years ago and am very satisfied how it worked out.

Last edited:
Back