Sump wanted but tank cannot be drilled!

  • Thread starter Thread starter legendary
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

legendary

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 22, 2014
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Location
Houston, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that I am trying to help. She has a 100 gallon tank that cannot be drilled, but she wants a sump. Is the only way to do this by using a hang on overflow box? What is the best one to use? How do you keep from overflowing the tank if the box ever loses suction?

If it is not the only way, what is the best option?

Also, what would be the best way to get the water back into the aquarium?

Thanks!
 
If you want a sump and can't drill a tank then you have to use an external overflow box. There are a few options for external overflow boxes, continuous siphon and u tube. I prefer the good old u tubes. When the power goes out they will still hold a siphon. When the tank turns back in it will work as normal.
 
I have an eshopps hang on overflow box. It is u tube style and has worked perfectly for almost 2 years. I got it from foster smith.
 
Can it not be drilled on the back either? As long as the back isn't tempered you should be able to.
 
I run a lifereef overflow and IMO it's the best you can buy in the external overflow category. Extremely well made and holds suction, restarting the siphon every time the pump comes back on (I turn it on and off for maintenance all the time-never a problem) google reviews for lifereef and try to find a bad one-they've got a pretty foolproof system
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new