Sump

epic56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, not really new to hobby just new to the sump world was running 2 cans on my 75. Recently upgraded to bigger tank but any way sumps plumbed in. When adding water to tank; how does one go about “priming” or starting the sump like the syphon? Might be a dumb question.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way you would need to “prime” or start a siphon is if you are using a hang on back overflow. Otherwise a standard overflow with drains will gravity feed down to the sump. So the question is which type of overflow are you using?

OP
OP
E

epic56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way you would need to “prime” or start a siphon is if you are using a hang on back overflow. Otherwise a standard overflow with drains will gravity feed down to the sump. So the question is which type of overflow are you using?
Just using pipe. No hang the back filter. So gravity will do its thing.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just using pipe. No hang the back filter. So gravity will do its thing.
Ok then yeah you should be good to go. The big thing with sumps is being sure it can handle the run off from your DT when you shut the pumps off and avoid flooding. I always leave my return lines right at the water line in DT so when power goes off I don’t get a back siphon and drain too much water. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. In this hobby there’s almost no such thing as a dumb question lol.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill the system properly and back flow won’t be an issue.

Fill the display until it just barely starts to flow into the drains. Then fill the sump to within 1-2” of overflowing. Turn on the pumps and adjust things, waiting between adjustments for things to settle. Once running properly, mark the level in the sump and turn off the return pump. Once it stops back flowing, mark that line as well.

Now you know with pump on and off what the water level should be.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back