Sun Polyps

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how hard are they to keep? i think they look awsome but i dont want to buy something i cant take care of! thanks for the help!

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have to spot feed them or they will not do good for very long. If your tank is doing ok with sps then you shouldn't have a problem with the other needs of a sun coral

reef-lover

Reef Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have to spot feed them or they will not do good for very long. If your tank is doing ok with sps then you shouldn't have a problem with the other needs of a sun coral
To True... Also, they stay closed the majority of the time, until they smell the food in the water.

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm cool, i was doing okay with easy SPS like my oras birds best is THRIVING, but i didnt relieze they arent open all the time, that might change my mind

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a non-photosynthetic nocturnal coral. If you want something like a sun coral that stays out in the day get a dendro. I have one coming my way on Tuesday and I cant wait . If you were closer I would give you my sun coral I rescued.

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had one and the more I kept it fed the more open during the day it would be open. Pretty soon it was open about 20 hours a day... or more

I fed it heavy!!!

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm thanks coral, thats a nice offer! i think im going to get a dendro a guy buy me(KTAR) is selling frags from 25-35 dollars

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed at night before the lights go off. And I have noticed that my sun coral now opens about an hour before my lights go off. When I got it I had to feed it in the dark about 30min after the lights went off. So you can train them to open in the day time if you have the time to mess with it

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phil, IMO if u want something a bit easier, but can be just as nice, i would recommend dendros. they stay open at night. or perhaps drop a few on a rhizo

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suns are a pain in the butt. I had a 100+ polyped one a while back and feeding it every 2 days was such a pain after a while. Beautiful coral if it decides to open during the day, but most dont. Buy something else IMO

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to see this thread. i was also considering purchasing the sun coral. glad to see that maybe it might be best to choose something else. i new they might open and might not during the day, but i dont think i wanna chance that it will always be closed during the day.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said I have one I saved. Got it for free and would gladly give it to someone if I get the opportunity. I think they are cool but more trouble than they are worth.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have to feed these corals at least once every two days keep that in mind for vacations and such man

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are well fed they can go a week or a little longer without food and not have any problems

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back