Sunny D zoa care

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of these zoas on the bottom acclimating to the light. I was wondering what kind of flow and lighting they prefer. Should they be high up on the tank or lower? The tank is lit by a kessil a350 running at 25% blue and 10% white to get the corals used to the light. I will increase this later on.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low to mid level would be fine and with that said most zoas can handle a good amount of light as long as they are somewhat acclimated to it. I keep mine low And on there own rock to keep them from spreading and taking the tank over.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Sunny D's are palythoa rather than zoanthids.

Looks at my avatar, I have a Sunny D invasion. They prefer good water quality and high lighting and flow imo, but will settle for less. They grow quickly under the right conditions but they are not picky.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will tolerate a wide variety of lighting and parameters. I have them in the bottom of my sps tank, and in my low lit, dirty water softie tank also

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just chiming in as well; I keep mine at the bottom in low to medium flow but not direct. Really the flow passes above them. PAR is about 120 and peaks to 150. They didn't start taking off until I raised the Nitrate to over 5PPM. They're under a Kessil AP700.

OP
OP
A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Sunny D's are palythoa rather than zoanthids.

Looks at my avatar, I have a Sunny D invasion. They prefer good water quality and high lighting and flow imo, but will settle for less. They grow quickly under the right conditions but they are not picky.
So they can thrive in many conditions but like higher lighting? Did you feed your zoas anything? Im thinking of doing some broadcast feeding since they are too sensitive for target feeding.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine lost a couple of polyps when they were grouped with my other zoas at the bottom-right- front of my tank. Two new polyps within days once I moved them more towards the center of the tank for better lighting.

Oohkris123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are almost bulletproof if you can keep a zoa or mushroom you can keep any high end zoas or palys

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in lots of nitrates and phosphates. This happened when I was remodeling my house and I moved my corals into a holding vat with the SPS frags/small colonies and zoas in egg crates on top and LPS, live rocks, hammers, etc. under the egg crate. Unknown too me the LPS, some large acro colonies, hammers, etc started to die underneath. I didn't see them due to the SPS on top and the water got really dirty from the deaths. Zoas polyps seemed like they exploded, especially Sunny Ds. They were there for a few weeks.

Rotorocious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience. Mines a bit over filtered so I "feed" them regularly to have some nutrients in the water.

Joeygee23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181028_191329.jpg

Up high with good flow. I have a dozen species in my 90.. By far fastest grower... Snag brine shrimp when feeding fish#

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back