SunSun CHJ4500 Pump Experience Needed

  • Thread starter Thread starter erk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 19, 2014
Messages
1,382
Reaction score
2,017
Location
DFW
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to replace a Rio 3100 that I have used for about 1.5 years now without any issues. I don't want to take a risk of if catastrophically failing in my new tank. I was going to use it to power a CV-426 PM skimmer. Now that I need to replace it, I'm wondering if the SunSun CHJ4500 would work. The spec for the CHJ4500 says ~1200gph with a pressure head of 10.5 ft. This is comparable to the recommended pumps for the CV-426. I want to run the skimmer in the sump, so I can't use the recommended external pumps. I will hard plumb the pump to the input of the skimmer with a union between.

Since it will be used in a non vital role, is it worth the risk?
Do you think the performance specs are accurate? If not, do you think it matters since the pump will be at the input of the skimmer?
What is the failure rate of the CHJ4500? Do they last at least a year?
Will it fail similarly to the Rio pumps?
Are there any known problems with the SunSun pumps?
Lastly, if you are against using the SunSun pump, what internal pump would you use? Sicce, Danner, Eheim, etc.

Link to the SunSun pump on Ebay. Cheapest price I could find. $30 for a 1200gph pump seems too good to be true. Hence my apprehension.
http://goo.gl/9Wf9vG
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new