SUPER high Iodine in ICP results

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this a couple of times in other posts, and never knew if it was real or not, but with two on the same tank, it does sound real.

What kind of denitrator?
What salt?
What brand media for the reactor?

What do you feed?

Seaweeds have a lot of iodine. Do you feed a lot?

Any dosing even before the last sample?
I had similar issue. The foods i feed culprit.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issue. The foods i feed culprit.

Thanks. What foods? How do you know it was the foods? Why do you think the foods led to an iodine spike?

(I've fed pellets for much of the past few months, so I'm curious)

Last edited:

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(posting in the right thread this time :D )

Did anybody figure out what happened in situations like this? Is there a reason why an ICP test might have large false iodine readings?

I had similar results from a just completed @ATI North America ICP test. 1569 µg/l iodine. I am willing to believe this, but I see no reason why my iodine would be this high. I double checked with a salifert iodate test, I found iodate 0.03 mg/l.

Possible relevant info:
I dose ATI essentials at a rate to keep my kh around 8.2. Beyond alkalinity, Ca, and Mg, I believe ATI essentials adds other trace elements to keep a certain level of trace element balance. That of course does not include such a high level of iodine. :D

I don't dose iodine; I put in a few capfuls of 2LF's iodine months ago. The tank two months ago had a crash (ATI essentials or anything was not dosed when I was gone for two weeks. 5.6 dkh, most SPS dead, massive red algae bloom. And a happily growing Favites pentagona war coral. ;Bored ), though I think the tank is now stable and under control (8dkh, 500Ca?! and 1408Mg).

A few things:
Strangely, another user complained ATI Essentials did not contain enough iodine.

Dr Ben of ATI Aquaristik who runs our ICP lab has stated iodine is one of the most difficult reef aquarium items to test on ICP. ATI takes special steps to ensure the most accurate results, because of this you will likely find a big delta between ATI and other ICP results in regards to iodine.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ATI North America , thank you for your response, and my personal apologies that I haven't responded until now (this is the first time I've been able to sit at a computer and compose a semi-serious r2r post in the last week).

Anyway, in previous ATI ICP test have not shown anywhere near that level of iodine, and so having 1569 µg/l (1.569ppm,. I think) iodine of course is very noteworthy.

I think I'd repeat some questions @Randy Holmes-Farley asked Triton, and which Triton never answered.

I've had a few posts from folks with super high iodine. 2 ppm +

I really haven't seen many in between the levels that most folks have (0.2 ppm or less), and these.

Obviously, you folks have seen it too, but how frequently, and have you noticed any correlation between these levels and particular husbandry practices?

Are you confident there's no possibility of a test error impacting iodine in such a way? Not a typo??

Without knowing the chemical form (iodide, iodate, organic forms, etc.), its hard to track down the source. or even be sure what to do about it

I assume that your answer to the testing question is "very confident"? The sudden appearance of such a high level of iodine, especially since it's not on track with the undoubtedly much less accurate salifert test (0.3ppm, in contrast to my 0.3 mg/l typo and in contrast to ~1.6ppm ICP result), is baffling.

It makes figuring out "why did this happen and what to do about it" quite hard. (the seafood theory makes some sense, save for the fact that i've fed my tank LRS reef frenzy, freeze dried mysis, or Omega One pellets consistently since I've had my tank for over a year, and see no reason why there would be a sudden spike).

Anyway, thanks again!

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lithium is high too. You didn't put or drop a lithium iodine battery in there did you? Or touch one beforehand?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back