Super high phosphate help!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just run GFO and test the tank and effluent of the GFO reactor and replace the GFO as needed. I'd recommend you use 1/2 the required amount and change often, testing the effluent. I wouldn't drop the PO4 to 0.00, but try maintain it so it doesn't go over 0.10 ppm.

Also, if you have alot of PO4 bound up in rocks, it may see-saw as the levels go down, and release, etc. You may have to use alot of GFO or you can bring it down with lanthanum chloride and then maintain with GFO

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just run GFO and test the tank and effluent of the GFO reactor and replace the GFO as needed. I'd recommend you use 1/2 the required amount and change often, testing the effluent. I wouldn't drop the PO4 to 0.00, but try maintain it so it doesn't go over 0.10 ppm.

Also, if you have alot of PO4 bound up in rocks, it may see-saw as the levels go down, and release, etc. You may have to use alot of GFO or you can bring it down with lanthanum chloride and then maintain with GFO

+1 to this. If you are still doing many WCs also keep an eye on nitrate. You quoted 10-15 which is fine. Keep it there while you get PO4 down slowly.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this. If you are still doing many WCs also keep an eye on nitrate. You quoted 10-15 which is fine. Keep it there while you get PO4 down slowly.
Chemistry is tricky. This hobby is all about maintaining good water chemistry, which can be a pain...

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, fish only tank that was over fed for about 17 years. Only really looked at phosphates when I wanted to start adding some corals about a year ago. By then I really built up a phosphate storage media with my rocks. Some types of dry rock are also known to naturally have high phosphates. Doesn’t sound like you have too much rock, so it shouldn’t be too bad getting yours under control.
Got you. After I added more rocks, now an estimate of 1/3 of the tank volume. Literately just checked mine at .48.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Phosphate rx should be here next week. Plan on start dosing it with the 10 micron filter sock in 50% strength or less. As of now, it’s a steady .48.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tested my salt mixed water at .03 phosphate, wonder if that’s acceptable or has to be 0.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tested my salt mixed water at .03 phosphate, wonder if that’s acceptable or has to be 0.
That is probably within the accuracy of your testing equipment, and certainly not going to negatively impact the levels in your tank considering you are currently just shy of 0.5.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know man.. my phosphates went near 0 to registering at 137PPB on the Hanna ULR and only thing that happened was coral growth and some nuisance algae. Everyones tank is different but I feel aslong as my Alk is kept Lower (7.5DKH) and stable, I've been able to overcome any swings including CA going to 250ppm. If your corals are suffering rule out other factors before naming PO, which is food

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know man.. my phosphates went near 0 to registering at 137PPB on the Hanna ULR and only thing that happened was coral growth and some nuisance algae. Everyones tank is different but I feel aslong as my Alk is kept Lower (7.5DKH) and stable, I've been able to overcome any swings including CA going to 250ppm. If your corals are suffering rule out other factors before naming PO, which is food
I don’t mind it if my corals were fine but they were dropping like flies. As mentioned before, my Duncan’s was doing really bad but then came back right away after I lowered it.

in fact, some people runs it high like 1. Supposedly high phosphate will prohibits calcium carbonate formation which growth.My sps are growing very slow, and I am suspecting due to high p04

francesco.mancini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hanna phosphorous 108 ppb my tank is fine .. alk cal and mag stable with use of trident .. zero alagae in display all grows in my cheato reactor

3496F766-CF27-44DC-A488-A4E520753B75.jpeg 3378408C-C79F-41AF-8BB1-28822C5EA3BD.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back