Super low salinity from Live Aquaria

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got delivery of a Male Lyretail Anthia and the shipping water had a salinity of 1.04! This will take awhile to acclimate. Anyone ever see salinity this low before? And yes my refractor is calibrated. Smh

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got delivery of a Male Lyretail Anthia and the shipping water had a salinity of 1.04! This will take awhile to acclimate. Anyone ever see salinity this low before? And yes my refractor is calibrated. Smh
Reef water is 1.026, so do you mean 1.004? Did you calibrate to 0 or the 35ppt? I don't think the reading is accurate. LA is almost always 1.017-18.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I meant 1.004. Really low. Yes I calibrated to both zero and 35ppt. My qt is at 1.024 and the ttm tank that he is going in is 1.024. Shipping water was at 1.004. Really low. I have been adding 1/2 cup tank water every 5 min til it reached 1.022 and then I put him in the ttm tank. He is moving pretty slow but I have faith for a full recovery.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0213.JPG

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now, it doesn't look like he will make it. Any ideas? Freshwater dip?

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you drip acclimating him or simply grabbing 1/2 of water and pouring that into his container?

Lower the salinity of the QT to 1.014 and then drip acclimate him to that for an hour. You can then gradually raise the salinity to what ever you wish the next day.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you drip acclimating him or simply grabbing 1/2 of water and pouring that into his container?

Lower the salinity of the QT to 1.014 and then drip acclimate him to that for an hour. You can then gradually raise the salinity to what ever you wish the next day.
Not if it was a shipped fish(it was). As soon as the bag gets opened the ammonia begins to get toxic. An hour in ammonia levels from the bag will cause permanent damage to the gills.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing the fish survived at such a low salinity. Agree with the above recommendation to inform LA of the problem ASAP. To the point above, they typically ship their standard stock (from Quality Marine) at 1.017-18. I received a fish from them today and the bag water was at 1.018.

I would set the QT at 1.009 (standard hyposalinity) and get the fish acclimated ASAP - no drip acclimation due to ammonia toxicity as mentioned above.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't order from them again, 3 out of my last 4 orders have been DOA. Don't waste your $$. Ever since Petco took them over it's been down hill. I hate so many good looking corals and fish are being killed. JME

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to report he did not make it. I did acclimate him by adding 1/2 cup tanks water every 5 minutes til bag was very full. Then dumped half bag and did it twice again. Raised the salinity to 1.020 in about 1 hour 45 min. Then put him in qt that was at 1.024. In hind sight I should have kept him at 1.09 or similar for much longer. His fins were fraying and half his bottom tail fin was gone. He was def not a grade A specimen when he left LA at 6pm last night and got to my house at 10am. Wasnt in transit long enough to look that ragged. LA is sending another for Saturday delivery so I will try again. Hated to see him suffer

RONBATTLE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH LORD...IJUST ORDERED THE SAME FISH FROM THEM..I WILL BE SURE TO CHECK THE SALINITY..I TEND TO KEEP MINE ON THE HIGH SIDE

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to report he did not make it. I did acclimate him by adding 1/2 cup tanks water every 5 minutes til bag was very full. Then dumped half bag and did it twice again. Raised the salinity to 1.020 in about 1 hour 45 min. Then put him in qt that was at 1.024. In hind sight I should have kept him at 1.09 or similar for much longer. His fins were fraying and half his bottom tail fin was gone. He was def not a grade A specimen when he left LA at 6pm last night and got to my house at 10am. Wasnt in transit long enough to look that ragged. LA is sending another for Saturday delivery so I will try again. Hated to see him suffer

Raising the salinity that fast is not good. Even with properly increasing salinity over 24-48hrs from hypo you should have a strong power head going to increase oxygen levels. Oxygen saturation is a lot lower at 1.024 than 1.004. I think the only chance he would have had is if you would had matched your TTM water to his dropped him in and gradually increased salinity over a couple days.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back