Salinity at the Reef Shop

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 manual refractormenters as well as the Milwaukee digital refractmometer. I got some calibration fluid a couple years ago and determined that the Milwaukee was running a little hot as the fluid read 1.028 which I do believe it should read 1.0265. I ran my tank at 1.027 for a few years.

I recently bought another batch of salinity calibration fluid and it reads 1.025! This was from Amazon and it said that 40 were sold this month so I assumed that this stuff wasn't sitting on a shelf.

My LFS' water measured 1.025 today. Do LFS generally run low? Should I run 1.025? I'm running 1.026. It's pretty sad that you can't trust the calibration fluids that are available to us!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue at my LFS, they consistently told me my salinity was too high using a Hanna meter. I had to bring in my refractometer to show them they were wrong and their instrument was worn out. Trust your refractometers!

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a similar issue at my LFS, they consistently told me my salinity was too high using a Hanna meter. I had to bring in my refractometer to show them they were wrong and their instrument was worn out. Trust your refractometers!
That's the problem... I don't trust them. I have 2 calibration fluids with a difference of .003. I understand your concern with LFS. They hold stock for at max a week so they don't really care. If I was them, I'd use the least amount of salt that I could get away with. Even salt has gotten expensive! I recall getting RPM for $45 a few years ago. Today, it was a black Friday special at $58 today. They also had Achilles for $99! I picked up a White Tail Bristletooth Tang for $100. He had a Conspicious Angel for $2500 too. Dude gets amazing stock. He's had 6 Dr. Suesse in the past few years.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 manual refractormenters as well as the Milwaukee digital refractmometer. I got some calibration fluid a couple years ago and determined that the Milwaukee was running a little hot as the fluid read 1.028 which I do believe it should read 1.0265. I ran my tank at 1.027 for a few years.

I recently bought another batch of salinity calibration fluid and it reads 1.025! This was from Amazon and it said that 40 were sold this month so I assumed that this stuff wasn't sitting on a shelf.

My LFS' water measured 1.025 today. Do LFS generally run low? Should I run 1.025? I'm running 1.026. It's pretty sad that you can't trust the calibration fluids that are available to us!
You can make your own solutions for pennies (there are different ones for different applications), courtesy of Randy Holmes Farley;

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shops here maintain the fish is water far below reasonable salinity...I'm talking like 26ppt...I understand trying to save money on salt but that's a little ridiculous imo because it complicates safe acclimation

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. I didn't even consider making my own. Dr Randy is the man!
Just make sure you are using the correct recipe depending upon the device you are calibrating.
They are slightly different.

Once you use these recipes ignore any store bought bottles, as they have a very poor track record for accuracy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back