Super Saiyan 135g Mixed Reef

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For awhile I was pondering of the different red sea reefer sizes. I posted a thread and got some help from @Westside Guy @4FordFamily and some others. I have a smallish 8'x9' office and settled on the reefer 525xl, however I stumbled across a good deal. Crystal Dynamic Aquariums had a tank on special that was a pretty good deal so I went that route. It is a little bit bigger than what I was planning but it will still fit! This will be my first reef tank in quite awhile. Much of the equipment and technology has changed so I am sure I will have a lot of questions. CDA will also be building the stand and plumbing in my sump.

Here are the details so far.

Equipment

• 60''x25''x21'' Rimless 3/4" Glass ,Reinforced Vertical Seams
  • Traditional Style Stand, White, with Acrylic Drip Tray, Electronic Panel
  • Bashsea Smart Series 36x18x16 Sump
  • Bashsea Smart Series 10 Gallon ATO
  • Ecotech Vectra M2 Return Pump
  • Deltec 1000ix Protein Skimmer
  • Ecotech MP40 (2)

My list is pretty short right now as I am still deciding on equipment. I have about 6-8 weeks before the setup is arriving and I want to make sure I don't miss any new releases at MACNA!

Livestock,etc
  • Tropic Eden Sand (Mix of Mesoflakes and Miniflakes)
  • Liverock from TBS @liverock
  • Battlecorals Box to start for SPS
Here are my questions and where I need some help...

1. I had settled on the Ecotech Radions (3), anyone have any opinions on other options? I think T5 or MH may run too hot for the office which is why I went LED.
2. I am still trying to decide between Apex and GHL for a controller. It seems like both are good options. Any advice would be great!
3. I thought it may be a good idea to have an electrician come and make a dedicated circuit for the tank. Is that overkill for a tank this size?

I think that wraps it up for now. Feel free to chime on anything I missed!

Tank1.jpeg

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For awhile I was pondering of the different red sea reefer sizes. I posted a thread and got some help from @Westside Guy @4FordFamily and some others. I have a smallish 8'x9' office and settled on the reefer 525xl, however I stumbled across a good deal. Crystal Dynamic Aquariums had a tank on special that was a pretty good deal so I went that route. It is a little bit bigger than what I was planning but it will still fit! This will be my first reef tank in quite awhile. Much of the equipment and technology has changed so I am sure I will have a lot of questions. CDA will also be building the stand and plumbing in my sump.

Here are the details so far.

Equipment
  • 60''x25''x21'' Rimless 3/4" Glass ,Reinforced Vertical Seams
  • Traditional Style Stand, White, with Acrylic Drip Tray, Electronic Panel
  • Bashsea Smart Series 36x18x16 Sump
  • Bashsea Smart Series 10 Gallon ATO
  • Ecotech Vectra M2 Return Pump
  • Deltec 1000ix Protein Skimmer
  • Ecotech MP40 (2)

My list is pretty short right now as I am still deciding on equipment. I have about 6-8 weeks before the setup is arriving and I want to make sure I don't miss any new releases at MACNA!

Livestock,etc
  • Tropic Eden Sand (Mix of Mesoflakes and Miniflakes)
  • Liverock from TBS @liverock
  • Battlecorals Box to start for SPS
Here are my questions and where I need some help...

1. I had settled on the Ecotech Radions (3), anyone have any opinions on other options? I think T5 or MH may run too hot for the office which is why I went LED.
2. I am still trying to decide between Apex and GHL for a controller. It seems like both are good options. Any advice would be great!
3. I thought it may be a good idea to have an electrician come and make a dedicated circuit for the tank. Is that overkill for a tank this size?

I think that wraps it up for now. Feel free to chime on anything I missed!

Tank1.jpeg
Nice Tank! Looking forward to the build. Re: lighting...I personally prefer LED with T5. Not really much heat from the T5's. I am running two Radion G4 Pro on a 36 inch Giesemann hybrid fixture with 4 T5 bulbs in my home office/Study. No issues with heat.

You will hear a lot of opinions on GHL versus Apex....pick your poison. Both have their positives and negatives. I went with Neptune Apex and I have been happy. I've automated everything and this has brought major peace of mind when I travel which is several times a year.

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Tank! Looking forward to the build. Re: lighting...I personally prefer LED with T5. Not really much heat from the T5's. I am running two Radion G4 Pro on a 36 inch Giesemann hybrid fixture with 4 T5 bulbs in my home office/Study. No issues with heat.

You will hear a lot of opinions on GHL versus Apex....pick your poison. Both have their positives and negatives. I went with Neptune Apex and I have been happy. I've automated everything and this has brought major peace of mind when I travel which is several times a year.

I just took a peak at your build, goodness that control panel is amazing. I didn't think about going hybrid, I will have to look into that. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my first piece of equipment today from Adam @Battlecorals

SkimmerBox.jpg
Skimmer.jpg

This is my first Deltec Skimmer and it looks and feels really well built. Can't wait to get it running.

I think next in line I'm going to order (2) MP40s. I was pondering a MP60 and one MP40 but I think it may be overkill.

Also, I am starting to learn towards GHL for a controller. Perhaps @Ditto could sway me further :D. It seems like a really well built controller and eventually I would use the doser as well. Does anyone know if I can hook it up directly using ethernet instead of WiFi? I already have a ton of WiFi interference.

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech MP40s are on sale so I’m going to pick up two. Would a third be overkill?

Also I have an electrician coming out in the next week to run one or two dedicated circuits to the tank with GFCI outlets.

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never too much flow, but it will depend on where you put it. If you have sand, I don't think you'll be able to have them on the back.

I was thinking of one on each side and then the third in the back or double up on one side.

Cool tank can’t wait to see it put together!

Thanks!!! I’m anxious to get the tank!

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No major updates yet. A little delay on the tank getting here as I switched to a steel stand with leveling feet so looking at another three weeks. The electrician came out and installed two 20 AMP circuits for the tank and the drywall crew came behind him and patched everything up.

I also purchased my RODI system and (3) MP40s. Still deciding between an ati T5 setup or Radions!

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been quite awhile!

The tank is coming here on Tuesday! In the mean time we ripped up the entire carpet downstairs and laid down waterproof laminate flooring. I also installed wainscotting panels in the bathroom. This all took significantly longer than I thought. However, everything seems to be syncing up perfectly, and just in time for black friday sales.

Here is a short time line of the work in the office. The electrician came and installed two 20 AMP circuits. The drywall was done shortly after. I just got the lights up today. I cannot say enough about these ReeFi Lab Lights. They are very well built and Daniel @danlu_gt made the whole decision very easy. His customer service is the best I have every had and his product is very impressive. I will post some more close ups of them soon.

Anyways, here are a few pictures, more to come on Tuesday!

wall1.jpg
wall2.jpg
wall3.jpg

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, things were going sort of well. The tank is mostly filled and the wiring is almost complete. However, I turned up the speed on two of the MP40s to test them out today and they both fell off. Now one will not start. They had been running all day fine and completely silent. Not really sure what happened since they are supposed to be rated for 3/4" glass. I decided to take them down to figure out my options. If anyone has any two cents on these please let me know!

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been quite awhile!

The tank is coming here on Tuesday! In the mean time we ripped up the entire carpet downstairs and laid down waterproof laminate flooring. I also installed wainscotting panels in the bathroom. This all took significantly longer than I thought. However, everything seems to be syncing up perfectly, and just in time for black friday sales.

Here is a short time line of the work in the office. The electrician came and installed two 20 AMP circuits. The drywall was done shortly after. I just got the lights up today. I cannot say enough about these ReeFi Lab Lights. They are very well built and Daniel @danlu_gt made the whole decision very easy. His customer service is the best I have every had and his product is very impressive. I will post some more close ups of them soon.

Anyways, here are a few pictures, more to come on Tuesday!

wall1.jpg
wall2.jpg
wall3.jpg
following along with this one - the plumbing looks awesome. I'm excited to see how the lights go. The spectrum on these looks spot on / very close to the Orpheks but the advantage is much less disco (I never minded that) and 'ReefLectors' seem like they do a great job - especially on a shallow tank if you want that 'top down' view so you can hang them a bit higher. The tank dimensions seem close to perfect to me - I love 20" depth and 28ish wide - 60" long is just awesome - this is gonna be epic. Also very interested to see how you view 'reefing in 2020' as there are so many changes I am sure - not just tech but also this trend of 'dry-rock' and all of that.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back