Super simple nonscientific PH experiment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like someone needs to recalibrate lol
I'm a window opener but I don't like the ups and downs of running a c02 scrubber. I guess if you replace the media like clockwork then it might be fine.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000000000% higher pH is like crack to corals. My trident will actually show less consumption when my pH goes down. I have been saying for months that higher pH is the least talked about method of getting much better coral growth.
AMEN BROTHER !!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the windows open to air out the basement after painting the stand for the better half of the week and corals show the love. Alk is at a steady 8.6.

Also on a side note, caught some bugs from a Mari colony and I'm done rolling the dice. After the colony stn'd the wild tenius frags that had been doing great for almost a year stn'd. Adam's corals nearby were unscathed. I'm convinced the aquarium propagated colonies have better resistance to pests among other benefits. Should have just done a battle box.

Screenshot_20201008-181925.jpg

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH has to be huge. Opened my windows for a week and my alk dropped from 8.7 to 8.1. Growth was noticeable on a couple of my sps daily. Closed everything up had some family over for a 3 day weekend (8 people in my small home). Alk shot up to 8.9 and seen zero growth. Trying to figure out how to get a line outside. Given I’m in a townhome and my tank is not on an exterior wall I need to do some serious planning and modifications to get a line outside. There is also a BRS investigates that shows significantly more growth with higher PH.
I think you have it reversed, fresh outside air raises ph, closed up indoor air causes a ph drop. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have it reversed, fresh outside air raises ph, closed up indoor air causes a ph drop. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Closed indoor air will cause pH to drop when people or animals are near breathing out CO2 which causes the water to become more acidic. Opening windows reduces CO2 buildup, keeping pH at a natural concentration. Which is why I run a CO2 scrubber.

i think you’re confusing pH and Alk. The two are sometimes dependent as a lot of the 2part that increases all will also increase pH. He is talking about decrease in Alk because the pH went up causing the Coral to grow and use up calcium and Alk.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thoughts.
I run the ac for 6 months a year and the heater for the other 6 with a few weeks of nothing at different times of the year.
Its either cold or 100°+ where I live.

Windows only get opened
In the morning for a few hours throughout the year.

I run a carx with no controller. No fuge also.

My ph runs 7.9 at night and 8.1 during the day.
It may get to 7.8 and 8.2 at times.

Growth has been good since setup 15+ months ago.

Their is only my wife and I, 3 cats, and 8 snakes.
Never checked co2 levels.

Just my random thoughts.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed indoor air will cause pH to drop when people or animals are near breathing out CO2 which causes the water to become more acidic. Opening windows reduces CO2 buildup, keeping pH at a natural concentration. Which is why I run a CO2 scrubber.

i think you’re confusing pH and Alk. The two are sometimes dependent as a lot of the 2part that increases all will also increase pH. He is talking about decrease in Alk because the pH went up causing the Coral to grow and use up calcium and Alk.
Yup the thread topic was about ph so I assumed thats what we were talking about and missed your alk experience. My bad carry on

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back