Surf Clam Fish Food

GavinMeyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I recently just got my first saltwater tank and am slowly learning the basic with some cheaper fish. I have been feeding them raw surf clams and they seem to love it.

I see many different posts on how people would feed their fish clams if they were easily accessible.

what I do for a living is catch process and sell Atlantic surf clams for fishing bait.
my question is, would there be any interest in surf clam aquarium food? I currently sell to a handful of large established aquariums in New Jersey and as far as I know, surf clams have the best natural nutrition. I don’t know how I would do it, maybe chop and freeze, freeze dry into flakes. Freeze whole fresh. The options are endless on that side.

I just really believe that the personal aquarium community could benefit from all natural surf clams.
Any insight is greatly appreciated. I will attach some pictures to show what I’m talking about.

C641D068-C9E4-4381-806E-755E576414EF.jpeg 065C2173-5FDB-4607-A7A0-C455F5D54C49.jpeg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any frozen seafood for fish that isn’t $40 per pound would be great. I think the problem is distribution as it either needs to be frozen or fresh which both require overnight shipping, which is $$$$$.

OP
OP
G

GavinMeyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any frozen seafood for fish that isn’t $40 per pound would be great. I think the problem is distribution as it either needs to be frozen or fresh which both require overnight shipping, which is $$$$$.
My retail fishing customers pay $4 pound currently, I couldn’t imagine my price being more than $10 pound after deep freezing and packaging ETC.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My retail fishing customers pay $4 pound currently, I couldn’t imagine my price being more than $10 pound after deep freezing and packaging ETC.
It's the shipping that's the killer. I would love some it depends on shipping. Shipping has been bad of late

OP
OP
G

GavinMeyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the shipping that's the killer. I would love some it depends on shipping. Shipping has been bad of late
I see some chopped clam cubes selling for 9-12 $ per 3.5 oz. Which averages out to $45 pound. PLUS shipping. I could come into this and be cheaper then all, including shipping. Plus my quality is the highest by far since hand shucked instead of everyone else who machine shucks for food which slightly cooks the clam and takes away nutrition. I just believe there’s some market here, but have to get it out there and make it known.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some chopped clam cubes selling for 9-12 $ per 3.5 oz. Which averages out to $45 pound. PLUS shipping. I could come into this and be cheaper then all, including shipping. Plus my quality is the highest by far since hand shucked instead of everyone else who machine shucks for food which slightly cooks the clam and takes away nutrition. I just believe there’s some market here, but have to get it out there and make it known.
Shoot me a price on pm and see if we can make it work. Overnight shipping is going to be around 20-25

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back