Surface hopping wrasse?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Uncle99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 22, 2018
Messages
13,281
Reaction score
20,378
Location
North, Strong and Free
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone shed light on this wrasse’s behaviour?
Been doing that every day when lights on for 6 months.
Every other wrasse I have just combs the rock work for bites.
Open to any ideas…

 
I think this behavior is fairly common with some fish. I recently saw where Jay H. said that a lot of fish seem puzzled by contact with the air, they are usually so deep in the wild that they don't typically encounter the water surface, so when in a tank, this behavior sometimes happens. I believe it's called "porpoising", much like marine mammals do.
 
I think this behavior is fairly common with some fish. I recently saw where Jay H. said that a lot of fish seem puzzled by contact with the air, they are usually so deep in the wild that they don't typically encounter the water surface, so when in a tank, this behavior sometimes happens. I believe it's called "porpoising", much like marine mammals do.
Thank you, not experienced that before but makes great sense!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new