Surface protein bubbles

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already made a thread on this see if I can get anymore answers to why I have so much protein bubbles huddled in a corner I have flow up top and flow in tank. Flow from hob filter. But I’m stumped on why it’s happening also running a protein skimmer so I’m not sure if I need to run Better mechanical filtration in my hob filter or what

2882D2D9-2FE6-4B02-95B2-8AC8B9F4FF89.jpeg 3B08BED1-2A31-4031-A55D-23170281087A.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40g breeder tidal 55 hob and fluval PS1 in tank protein skimmer
What’s your flow dial set to for the pump and how much flow is split between the intake and surface intake? Also, what are you using for filter media and how often do you change or replace it?

At first glance it looks like the corner where is kind of a dead spot that’s trapping stuff. Readjusting your wave pump (I only saw the one) to bounce around the flow a bit might resolve that.

You could also trying increasing the flow rate of your Hob filter if that’s not 100%, and also adjusting it so that it pulls more in from the surface than below the surface.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your flow dial set to for the pump and how much flow is split between the intake and surface intake? Also, what are you using for filter media and how often do you change or replace it?
I have two wave makers both set at 30% lowest they can go one pointed up other pointed forward straight All I’ve used for media is filter floss only change it when it’s nasty brown

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At first glance it looks like the corner where is kind of a dead spot that’s trapping stuff. Readjusting your wave pump (I only saw the one) to bounce around the flow a bit might resolve that.

You could also trying increasing the flow rate of your Hob filter if that’s not 100%, and also adjusting it so that it pulls more in from the surface than below the surface.
It’s set at 100% for the hob filter I have one wave maker in one corner and another opposite end on back side so it make circle motion

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two wave makers both set at 30% lowest they can go one pointed up other pointed forward straight All I’ve used for media is filter floss only change it when it’s nasty brown
I meant the Seachem HOB. What’s it set to and how much of the intake flow is split between the subsurface and surface? You could try placing them on opposite sides and slightly angling them both up and towards the front of the tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like this
Page 9, step 3.

If it were me, I would put the Tidal 55 in the center at the back of the tank beside the Fluval (leave 4-6” between them). I’d also move your wavemakers to the center on the left/right sides, and aim them up and forward to bounce off the front.

I think this would give you better heating and flow in your tank, and probably eliminate any dead spots. You also need to make sure you’re pulling some flow for the Tidal from the surface opening (such that you’re pulling water from below through the pipe and at the surface through the vent just below the waterline).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back