Surfage_breakage upgrade from 75g to 225G

Surfage_Breakage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is time for me to upgrade my tank, I simply have ran out of room in my 75g in less than a year. I custom built the stand from scratch with the help of a friend who painted and help build it. It has lilac marblized doors, they look black when the room is dark and look like marble lilac with light in the room. I did not want to part with my 75g and my 37g but it was the only way for me to be able to aford a 225g tank and be able to set it up.

225g Clarity plus acrylic tank, stand and canopy (in the process of buffing it)
custom acrylic sump
mag 18 pump
3 diy phoenix led (from reefledlighting)
tunze wavebox
sro xp-3000 skimmer

I cant wait to see everything up and running. I have always wanted a reef of my own this size. I deffinetly scored big and got the tank of my dreams when I did not think it would be possible on my budget.

I also cant decide if I want to paint the stand and canopy pearl white, or maybe do the lilac marblizer on black again. I like the all black but the only thing that bothers me, is that I did not notice when I bought it that the doors on the stand are an off black and do not match the rest of the stand and canopy. Other than that I could not be happier with it! What is everyones opinion on painting the stand and canopy on my 225g

Sorry about the bad photo quality, all of the pictures have been taken with my phone.

tank 8.jpg
75g with the lilac doors
tank 2.jpg
tank7.jpg
tank.jpg
tank 9.jpg

OP
OP
Surfage_Breakage

Surfage_Breakage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
225g clean.jpg
led.jpg
phoenix 45 diy + 8 uv, 4 red, 4 green. I will still have to play with it to figure out what I like on the color combo (red,green,uv).
sump.jpg
my custom sump built by Inland Aquatics. I built the led light on top. It is just a 10w 75k and a 10w 455nm rb. Looks great for under $100 I might add some more color to it after I see what kind of results I get out of the phoenix 45.
tank 11.jpg
just and old random picture of my rbta from a while back.
tank10.jpg
When I bought this acan it was just red and gray and completely morphed into a nice rainbow looking acan. And it has held its color for over a year and half.

OP
OP
Surfage_Breakage

Surfage_Breakage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to leave the stand black, and I am about ready to set the tank up in the next week or two. But I think I still need some more water flow. Right now, what I have is a mag 18 for my return on my sump, I also have a tunze wavebox and a korila 1400. I feel like that will not be enough. What does everyone siguest I do? Should I get some more korila's or another tunze 6105, or maybe a mp40? I am trying to put the tank together the right way, but I am still on a budget. What would be the best combination, what should I do? Any input would be appriciated, Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Surfage_Breakage

Surfage_Breakage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20121115_180612.jpg

Everything is in a 150g rubbermade tote for now, untill I get the 225g set up. Sorry about the color difference with the lighting in the picture, I have my reefbrite blue led on the left and a phoenix 45 diy on the right (everything is dimmed all of the way down).
20121115_180945.jpg

20121115_180728.jpg
If anyone knows what kind of chalice this might be please let me know.

OP
OP
Surfage_Breakage

Surfage_Breakage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have got two more to build still, I am still trying to figure out if I like the red and green leds. I am going to wait to build the other two fixtures until I get the tank up and running, so I can really see what I like best and make changes in my led combo if needed. (Its kind of hard to really figure out what I like using the rubbermade tote) Otherwise I like the phoenix 45 so far.

Last edited:

jtgordon20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.
Is there a noticeable disco effect? I put my reds and green (mine is cyan) next to eachother. I was told it will blend them together better and make a white looking light.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Surfage_Breakage

Surfage_Breakage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks richie!

Also I never really thought about put reds and greens together, but makes deffinetely makes since. I will have try that out because I do get a little bit of disko ball effect, I probably also need to raise my light up some more. I appriciate the advice! I will have to post more pics soon.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back