0   0   0
Edit to add tank info and updated Pics before the "Journey Begins"

Oct 11 full shot.jpg

Set Up October 2021
20221006_165159.jpg
October 2022 I year old
20230131_111130.jpg

January 2023
Red Sea Reefer 3xl900 | 240 gallons | Display 192 | Dual Sump 48 g | ATO 20g in garage
RS 900 Skimmer | 4 RS 160s Led Lights | 2 RS Reefwave 45's gyres | 2 Mp 40's | 2 Echotech Battery Bkups
2 Neptune Cor-20 Return Pumps | 36w UV Sterilizer & DC Pump | 1 reactor for media | BRS CO2 Scrubber
2 Helio Heaters w/controller plus 1 backup | Caribsea rock/arches | Real Reef Rock | Neptune Apex ATO
Neptune DOS for AWC | 2 EB832 Energy Bars | lots of other apex bundle deal

Remote Monitoring: Apex/Echotech/Red Sea Reef Beat
Mixed Reef: Some Soft-LPS-SPS | Corals: 64+ | Fish: 26 | Cleanup Crew: Sea Cucumber-Emerald crabs-snails
click here for Coral & Fish List
click here for Additives,/supplements/dosing/testing/parameters
click here for feeding
(Links coming soon)
************************************************************************************************
Okay, here I go. Again. This will be my 3rd tank since 2016 when the bug bit and 4th build thread! Started with a 60g AIO, then a 125g, and then the same 125 reboot and now (drumroll...) onto a 320 Dream build.

My current tank is and has been a disappointment and all my own fault for buying hasty. I went from a Red Sea AIO with beautiful glass to a plain, used glass tank. I should have held out! Also have had issues ever since a strong primer paint fumes wiped out a lot of my fish and corals in both tanks (with doors shut to the room being painted). The 60g had been thriving and was beautiful with lots of coral growth. After that, it never recovered. I took it down and put survivors in the 125 which was finally stable and starting to do well. It too has never recovered.

So with that, I'm going to do my dream tank: a Waterbox Reef LX 320.7 Tank is approx 86x30x24. Display 231g, sump 69g, ATO 18g. It's early yet but this way I can journal the journey. Plan to get white as black shows water streaks too easy.
I picked this tank for several reasons:
-I like the look of it
-I like that the plumbing and love the sump which are included and has nice clean lines
-As I'm short, this is the biggest I ever dare to go!
-I like the glass overflow and a glass sump for easier cleaning

I plan to put it in my office which is small--10x10 as the 125 is in the living room and I don't want to do a rushed transfer. I want to take my time with this one and do it right from the beginning. I'll be going slow and taking my time. I miss having a tank in here when I'm writing and we never use the living room except when the kids come to visit.

During this planning, research, and budgeting time, I'm working on fixing the 125 which is just getting worse and worse even though my numbers are all mostly in range. Even if the rocks have issues, there are 2-3 rocks that will have to be moved over as they are covered with corals and I need to get rid of the algae.

Right now I'm researching equipment and planning my budget. Some items can wait, most cannot. Right now I'm looking at 14k (7500 for the tank alone). My hubby actually didn't squawk or yell when I told him the tank price lol's. I pretty much know what I need and how much. Now to start a time table and To Do list.

I got a good start today:
-Called Code Enforcement to be sure I can add water storage containers in the side yard (have neighbor who calls code on us). Answer is yes, so now to plan that and see how much to get a new window screen with framed cut out for the hoses.
-Called a fish store to see about them ordering the tank and delivering it and setting it up (stand and tank and sump). Or have it delivered here and hire them to bring it in. No way hubby and I alone can do it and I'd rather for this cost have experts handle it (hubby used an engine hoist to put the 125 on the stand--nerve wracking)
-Got a quote from an electrician to add a 20amp dedicated breaker for the tank. Ouch!!!

Next is to find out how long before more waterbox aquariums are ready and when they recommend I try to put my order in.

Also going to get rock scape ideas. Going for a blend of minimalist and enough fish havens. lots of negative space but not spartan. Will use a blend of Real Reef and Caribsea rock. Will order rock way early to start playing so I can make some of my scapes.

Also need to redo my office. I'd like to blue tape the aquarium size on wall and floor. Major furniture moving and organizing to do.

Will continue to watch youtube/BRS videos and others. Research, research, research! And will pick brain of son in law who inspired me way back at the beginning with his perfect and beautiful tanks. Current tank is at least 500 gal, no algae in side with Real Reef rock.
So this is my plan and my start. My baby steps lol's.

1623822771546.png
1623822836650.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I might have a change of plans. Per Waterbox, they can't even say when they can open backorders. The fish store also checked, and same thing. It might not happen even this year!! So I think I may have to consider the Red Sea Reefer S 1000.

Less than 2" taller
4" shorter
210 display volume instead of 231
25.6 wide instead of 29.5
60" tall, 3 inches taller over all.
1500 less cost
Plus I have a fish store who can order, assemble and set it up in the room I want.

Now I have to change the build thread title-if that is possible lol's

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my decision journey isn't over. Copying this from the thread on the forum lol's as it is all part of my process.

I'll be contacting @AlgaeBarn for more info on the cade. There isn't a lot of difference in the main features.

RS-- 210 display, 265 total 55 gal sump no ato 82x25x60, no control cabinet but a duel sump
Cade--234 display, 282 total 48 gal sump 32g ato 82x29 (25) x25 Has control cabinet and dry area of cabinet

I don't know cabinet specs like materials for the Cade. Red Sea looks strong and sturdy but they did have those fails.

I'm emailing the fish guy tonight so I'll see what he says about the Cade. If he can't get them, that will answer my question as I want them to do the set up. I'm also going to go to another lfs I know has the tanks on display (I hope-they do not have a phone number as they are too busy!). The place I'll use doesn't have them on display-strictly fish and corals.

Man, I thought I had this all figured out lol's. And yeah, I'll also pm joe lol's. Trouble there, is if I can still get my lfs to do the set up if they don't order the tank/stand.

Well, all part of the journey, right

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish store is a good business (not all of them are!), then whether you buy the tank from them shouldn't have any bearing as to whether they'll do the setup for you. The cost might be higher to hire them if you're not getting the tank from them, but if you have a decent relationship with them I think they should recognize the value in keeping a customer who'll need to fill a 230 gallon tank with fish and coral happy.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish store is a good business (not all of them are!), then whether you buy the tank from them shouldn't have any bearing as to whether they'll do the setup for you. The cost might be higher to hire them if you're not getting the tank from them, but if you have a decent relationship with them I think they should recognize the value in keeping a customer who'll need to fill a 230 gallon tank with fish and coral happy.
True. With the pandemic of course, we haven't been there. They are almost an hour away, so it is a bigger deal for them to do this, which is why I'd order thru them. I'm sure they get discounted pricing and will make some money off the tank sale. I made sure he knew they were my go to fish store and have been!!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,should be interesting...:)
lol's. It is a journey so far and I haven't even ordered the tank!! A lot of exciting, a bit scary and a lot of daunting!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot tank wise to update. Waiting on LFS on pricing and their delivery/setup pricing etc. Going tomorrow to the only place in my area that I know has tanks and it is over an hour away!! I doubt they'll have the Reefer s-1000 on display as it is a new tank, but we'll see. They don't have a phone so can't call. I'll see what they offer but will give first guy first dibs as I use their store a lot. Or did pre pandemic days...

So I looked into adding an utility sink to garage. Can't do. No way to cheaply or even cost effectively add a drain. However I am going to set up my RO and water mixing station in the garage. I think we can get water from the water heater and I'll run waste water out through the tubing under garage door. I water my back garden areas currently as the waste line goes out the kitchen window (and water line comes in that way). This will work better than an outdoor set up for heating the saltwater.

To do this, means clearing out space in garage which is my hubbies machine/tool shop. I'll have to give up my large storage shelf and find places for the stuff on it (household decor and books mostly). This is doable. Work, but this entire build will be work lol's

Also on my do now list is to redo my office and see how the tank is going to fit. I have a credenza with hutch to move. Prob. under the window. Hutch will block some of the window but that isn't totally bad (except I like natural light). It solves 2 issues. Creepy neighbor who spies on me from his upstairs window (have that privacy film on half my window for daytime) and blocking light from the tank as this room gets the hot afternoon sun.

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to work on office. I am going to tape the tank dimensions on the wall-display and cabinet sizing and bring in a step stool and give it a "test". My original Red Sea 60 gal tank was the same height so no prob. New tanks a few inches wider. I'll also tape the floor so I have total tank dimensions.

Next is to get a pc of plywood, cut it just a bit larger than the display and set it up on sawhorses and build a pvc cage the same size of the tank. Now I'll have my visual.

After I have that set up, I'm ordering my rock. Reason so early is between work and a couple of trips, it will take a while to get what I want/like. This way no rush. Rocks need to be basically done before tank delivery as I want them to put in my main pieces.

I have my budget done. And my timetable by month of what to get and when and where--I'll price check around but am using BRS website for the budget. Wonder if they'd give me a discount lol's!.

So, making progress in the preplanning stage of this new build.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Office is shifted around to make room for tank! Hoping the LFS guy gets back to me soon here!! Tomorrow, I tape the wall and floor! And clear the walls. Electrician will add 2 outlets for a dedicated breaker. Probably about 4 ft up or higher. Just measured width. going to have to turn my desk!! OR get a smaller one lol's

20210619_235945.jpg
20210620_000005.jpg
20210620_000015.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! What a daunting journey this is! I did some measurements last night (like 2am!!!) and the bookcase has to come out, the credenza has to move down which means the printer has to move-probably into my closet which means a short bookcase in there with grandkid crafts has to move out!!!! and Desk turned sideways. Yikes! Bookcase can go where the current tank is in living room but that won't be for many months so it will have to sit in the hallway! Eventually I can add some shelves to the wall for my pretties!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! What a daunting journey this is! I did some measurements last night (like 2am!!!) and the bookcase has to come out, the credenza has to move down which means the printer has to move-probably into my closet which means a short bookcase in there with grandkid crafts has to move out!!!! and Desk turned sideways. Yikes! Bookcase can go where the current tank is in living room but that won't be for many months so it will have to sit in the hallway! Eventually I can add some shelves to the wall for my pretties!

Just get it right and how you want it, dream tank remember! :)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get it right and how you want it, dream tank remember! :)
lol's and yet so very true! What's a bit more chaos in my life! Plan for today is to do what needs doing lol's. Yes, it's months away but I want/need to see exactly what I've got before I order the tank.

My cats are not happy as they lost their window sill perch and a huge cat tree lol's. Well, time to get to it!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whew! wow! and ow!!! Dropped the oak file drawer on my toe trying to get it onto the piano mover lol's. Gotta have a couple ows with all that I'm doing, but I think I'm there.
File drawers out Check
Credenza moved down check
Bookcase out (sitting in hall) check!
Half the room all clear for tank check and check
time to tape!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here we have it--the plan lol's.
--I have a 5" from wall line on floor.
--2 inside blue lines are my scape borders as I want to leave 8"
--Rule of 3rds lines are there in reg. masking tape. Goal is to have scape take up 2/3's of height with maybe an occassional arm a bit higher
--Tank not quite centered. Final centering has to allow a step stool on each side lol's.
Was hoping I could eek out the 82.7 length but no can do.

I think this is my final tank choice (unless LFS has better suggestion or reason to say no)

Red Sea Reefer 3xl 900
79 x 25.6 x 25.6 Total 60" tall (same as my old RS max 250 so I'll be good there)
Equipment for this new build
Red Sea 900 Reefer skimmer
Red Sea Reefwave (gyre) 45--qty 2
Red Sea Reefled 160s Qty 4

I figured to go with RS equip. as they are designed for the tank. They suggest 3 of the lights but the lfs suggested we might want 4 eventually, so as my hubby will do the light fixture, if we want 4, I need 4 now.

I hope the 2 gyre's do me for a while. I will be adding mp40's. But not sure I'll need right away as I'll just have my softies in the tank to begin with. Unless someone suggests I need them now. I plan to put the 2 gyres vertical on either side of the overflow box as RS has done

Other equipment
--special grade live sand-(I do not want to rinse this amt of sand lol's
--2 300 watt heaters with controller
--2 Cor-20 return pump--dual returns
--battery back up
--starboard for bottom. In case of tumbles etc/pressure points. Spending this much, I'll add the protection. Not planning to glue it. Just lay it
--2 mp40's at some point. Love all the cords on the outside

As soon as I firm things with fish store, I'm ordering my rock
A mixture of Real Reef and Caribsea. I like a lot of the caribsea shapes and arches so eager to do another aqua scape and hope I don't have as much issue as with the marco rock.

My poor office is a disaster and the rest of the house from so much displaced "stuff". I will not be bored for a very long time.

20210620_181049.jpg

Tank outline. Should be able to get a stool on each side. Esp. 2 of the smaller ones. So tank centering will be done with that in mind.
20210620_181202.jpg

5" from wall
20210620_181229.jpg

Poor dogs have lost a lot of their space. Might move the beds to either side of my desk chair
20210620_181247.jpg

Display tank. Blue lines are my borders for scape. Can't see the rule of 3rds tape.

20210620_194521.jpg

This is what my office is now reduced to lol's. I do have a second computer set up in the craft room if I need more space. Cats are not happy!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You commute that far? Thats what? 75 miles. My hubbie commutes to san jose a couple times a week since the pandemic. I usually go to aquatic collection in hayward. Hoping they deliver tank and set up. I went to randys once in stockton but the tanks were dirty. Sacramento has some good stores. Citrus heights and roseville as well.

Susan Edwards,​

What is your nearest LFS? I work at the Safeway DC in Tracy. I live in Merced. My nearest LFS is in Modesto or Stockton (not exactly local) Or, for corals, Fresno. Not exactly local either.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back