SW noob and need some guidance!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chullings
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Chullings

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Location
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently decided I want to jump into a a SW community tank with fish and coral. Found a good deal on a 90 Corner tank that will fit perfectly in a low light corner of my dining room. I’ve watched a few YT videos and seems like everyone is building the aqua scape and then filling their tank. Am I missing something? Doesn’t the water have to cycle before adding coral or are they just using rock? I’m considering ordering “real reef” from Amazon
 
Just the sand and rock to start.
The bacteria’s populate there.
They are the ones converting ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate (a.k.a. The cycle)

You’ll need more than a cycle for most corals, but once ammonia zeros out and you see nitrates, add 1-2 fish. Then those guys add ammonia an drive higher populations of algae’s and bacteria’s.

Build slowly allowing populations to grow and manage progressively higher waste requirements.
 
I have recently decided I want to jump into a a SW community tank with fish and coral. Found a good deal on a 90 Corner tank that will fit perfectly in a low light corner of my dining room. I’ve watched a few YT videos and seems like everyone is building the aqua scape and then filling their tank. Am I missing something? Doesn’t the water have to cycle before adding coral or are they just using rock? I’m considering ordering “real reef” from Amazon
Rock is the Aquascape Coral come way after cycling
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new