Swallowtail or watanabei angelfish pair?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sjfishguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

sjfishguy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2016
Messages
254
Reaction score
208
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to add a pair of watanabei angelfish to my 180g sps dominated reef for a while now. I now have the opportunity to get the pair, but there is also a beautiful male/female pair of zebra swallowtails available. The pair available are 5” male/3” female. I actually like the zebra pair better I think, but I am worried they get too large for my 180g.

Anyone had a swallowtail angelfish for a while and if so how large did it actually get? Says both female and male get 8” which to me is way too big for a 180. I am still leaning to the watanabei as they max out at 6”. Thanks!
 
I kept a pair of Watanabei’s in my 180 until catastrophe struck.

They were absolutely stunning in person.

Smaller and prettier(IMO) than Swallowtails, so to me it’s a no brainer.
 
Wow... this post timing couldn't be better. I'm actually considering the same. Have you also looked at the masked swallowtail? I think I'm leaning towards those.
 
They should be fine in a 180! I say do whatever pair you like the look of better. Both are stunning. What other fish do you have? Maybe go for the pair that you dont have any other similar colors in. Im working on re building my tank and have a wantannabe pair on my list cause it has the same beautiful blue as a powder blue tang with a way better temperament! Thats how I chose, maybe look at if from that way?
 
I had a pair of watanabei’s in my 180. Both female until one turned male. Loved those fish.
 
Wait is this a common occurrence among watanabeis?
Yes, I think this happens often under the right conditions, but may take some time. They are all born female and one can change to male. Mine took 6-8 months if I recall correctly.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new