Swapping sump compartments - established tank

congerorama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've got a tank that's been up and running for about a year. Things are going pretty good, I've had a few ugly phases and upgraded some equipment over the year but haven't had to resort to any chemicals or other artificial treatments.

That said, I'm now regretting the way I've configured my sump. I've got the Trigger Systems Sapphire 26, and I set it up where the first chamber is the skimmer, 2nd/middle is my refugium, and 3rd is return pump + a reactor. Reading up on the Triton method (as well as light spilling out on either side from my middle refugium) makes me wish I had set my refugium in the 1st chamber with my skimmer in the middle.

Is it too late to swap them? My refugium has some sand in the bottom, maybe an inch or two, with a little bit of liverock rubble. I wouldn't want to drain the whole sump, so I'd be manually scooping up the sand to move into the first chamber (?). Given that the sand isn't very deep, wuold that really disturb bacteria or cause any problems? Should I just leave everything alone since I'm not currently really having any major problems?

PXL_20201028_155257555.jpg PXL_20201028_155317562.jpg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern would be all the dirt into the water when you disturb that sand. There is no way to avoid it getting into the pump, even if you were able to siphon most of it.
If it aint broke don't fix it.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't be too difficult to swap compartments. I'd shut down the system and try and get it done quickly. I think your bacteria and everything would be fine. I have mine setup just like yours, I set it up that way because I didn't want the flow from the overflow box disturbing the "Mud" in my fuge, then it would go over into my skimmer compartment and get in my skimmer pump. What I just did a few days ago for the light spillover is purchase a 3d printed shade and it completely solved that issue as well as a couple others, highly recommended!

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your 1st chamber is a good bit bigger than the middle. That would make for a larger fuge which is beneficial for triton method. If you have sand in your DT, then I would just remove all the sand and possibly the live rock rubble. Should be plenty of beneficial bacteria in your tank at this point. I found that it just traps a bunch of detritus once the chaeto really starts growing.
Shut everything down, have replacement water ready. Take out the rubble and then use a shop vac to suck out all the sand and water. Getting the sand out isn't a big problem, but putting it back in without creating a giant mess with possibly a bacterial bloom could be. I'm a huge fan of the biggest fuge you can make. I've always run a 29g fuge connected to the main sump. Full of chaeto. No it doesn't spin anymore. But it keeps my N & P at or near undetectable levels, although I have 11 fish and feed heavy including pellets, flakes, reef frenzy and roids ( roids once or twice a week.) I have a "300" watt ufo fuge light on 24 hours a day as well. The old heavy in heavy out.
Anyway good luck, looks like you be great either way!

Back