Swapping Tanks

K33l0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Yesterday I started the process of upgrading from my 20 long to a 40 breeder. I've set up the rocks in the new tank (some already established live rock and one of my big rock from my 20) and filled it up with new salt water. There is still one big rock in the 20L as well as some small rocks. After adding API Quick Start and letting it sit for 20 minutes I moved my clown fish and some biomedia balls over to the new tank. My one issue is that I only have one HOB filter, so I'm unable to move it to the new tank yet.

Does anyone have any recommendations of when it would be acceptable to move my filter, remaining rocks, fish, and coral over to the new tank?

Thank in advance for recommendations!

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test for the ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. If ammonia and nitrites are 0 you're probably good to go

OP
OP
K

K33l0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what circulation is there in he new tank if your HOB is not performing that function?
I've got two powerheads running and some filter floss clipped on the side. Not ideal though which is why I'm hoping to move the HOB and everything else over soon

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two powerheads running and some filter floss clipped on the side. Not ideal though which is why I'm hoping to move the HOB and everything else over soon
the oxygen exchange is important thus my question, what is left in the 20 that needs filtration? if your bioload is in the new tank that is where the filtration needs to happen.

OP
OP
K

K33l0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the oxygen exchange is important thus my question, what is left in the 20 that needs filtration? if your bioload is in the new tank that is where the filtration needs to happen.
Two fish a shrimp and my coral. I was going to move the hob over but didn't want to risk losing them while the new tank became habitable. If you recommend moving it over to the 40 instead i can do so.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two fish a shrimp and my coral. I was going to move the hob over but didn't want to risk losing them while the new tank became habitable. If you recommend moving it over to the 40 instead i can do so.
no recommendation. the more sensitive animals need the most attention. good luck! some one else can probably guide you more surely. good upgrade I should say.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your old tank running as is with all the livestock. Keep the power heads running in the new tank and cycle it like a new tank, the power heads will keep the water moving around the live rock and act as a filter for a tiny bio load. Test the new tank for 0 ammonia and the move your old cycled filter and livestock to the new tank, it could take a few weeks but probably will save cycling issues.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back