SWC 160 Facelift and Pump Upgrade

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did this happen?

I have a SWC 160 skimmer and love it.........except for that POC Atman pump. I've lost count on how many pumps I've gone through...five, six, seven....not even sure. At one point I was going to get another skimmer just because replacement pumps were an ongoing problem. Knock on wood, my current pump has lasted more than a year (shhhh ;))

I actually searched high and low for alternate pumps, but nothing fit. Another skimmer brand also used Atmans and switched out this pump for a Sicce, but also had to modify the bubble plate....I think that upgrade kit was around $100.

Anyway, I still peruse the web looking to see if anyone has come up with a replacement and today hit upon the SWC site (actually Elite Reef Online, because after the CEO/Owner of SWC was indicted, the company pretty much ceased all development). This 160 looked different.....had a solid white box shaped base. When I clicked on information, this new 160 now comes with a Sicce 2500 pump. Looking at the redesign, I'm pretty sure the Sicce won't simply fit into the old style 160's.

Here's the NEW 160 picture:

SWC160.jpg

And here's the OLD 160 picture:

160-cone-swc.JPG

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw this Paul, I thought man, he has no luck with pumps for that thing...lol. Glad to hear the last one is still running.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, but bringing it back.

Like you Paul I loved the 160 conee when I ran it a few years back. I'm planning on getting back in the hobby and am cutting looking for this skimmer to see if I can find one.
Have you had any luck with finding a replacement pump, or at least a atman clone?

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a fix to swc skimmer issue on RC back in 2011, when swc skimmers were really popular.
the problem is not in atman pump. bubble magus uses atman pump without any issue.
I compared the two, and found the difference is bubble magus adds a washer on the impeller shaft. I was able to run the swc skimmer for years with no issues after I added the washer. before than, it does not always start up.

nickjwes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just had an issue with my pump (thw baseplate really) and ordered some overpriced knockoff junk that came with a broken impeller and shaft. I would love to get a new/different/better pump as I plan on continuing to use this skimmer for a while if possible.

Do you happen to know the model of the bubble magnus that uses the same (or analog/clone) pump? Or the pump model number? Much appreciated. Thanks.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still running an SWC 160 myself, it's such a nice solid skimmer body compared to many of the light flimsy skimmers on the market today.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but maybe someone will see this and help out. I have the large double pump scw skimmer. It has two psk2500 pumps. One is not running right anymore. I need either a replacement pump or the rebuild kit for it. I also saw the comment about adding a washer for better long term reliability. Would love to know what type washer and where it goes. Anyone know of a good replacement pump?
Thank you,
Jim

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have a SWC 300....that used two Sicce PSK 2500. I'm pretty sure the PSK 1000 is the replacement pump for the 2500.

The washer deal mentioned above was an issue with Atman pumps. The nylon washer (that originally was available at HD, but my local HD no longer carries), went on the impeller shaft...one at the front, one at the back....but the impeller side were the important washer additions. My guess is that the washer was enough of a gap to keep the impeller off the front plate, and allow it to start....but again, that's just a guess.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have a SWC 300....that used two Sicce PSK 2500. I'm pretty sure the PSK 1000 is the replacement pump for the 2500.

The washer deal mentioned above was an issue with Atman pumps. The nylon washer (that originally was available at HD, but my local HD no longer carries), went on the impeller shaft...one at the front, one at the back....but the impeller side were the important washer additions. My guess is that the washer was enough of a gap to keep the impeller off the front plate, and allow it to start....but again, that's just a guess.

I recently had start up issues on mine(All still original from years ago) but I accidentally discovered that as I lift it up, as the water drains from the body, it starts up again, kinda weird, but it's working and keeping me going.
I'm not sure if anyone's pump issues were similar or not.

I still love this skimmer, though I know one day I'll have to do something, and while it's not that loud really, sure would like to find a pump replacement that might compare to todays skimmers if that's possible.

My tank is extremely quiet, that's the only thing that makes some sound, but even then I have to open doors to notice it.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had start up issues on mine(All still original from years ago) but I accidentally discovered that as I lift it up, as the water drains from the body, it starts up again, kinda weird, but it's working and keeping me going.
I'm not sure if anyone's pump issues were similar or not.

I still love this skimmer, though I know one day I'll have to do something, and while it's not that loud really, sure would like to find a pump replacement that might compare to todays skimmers if that's possible.

My tank is extremely quiet, that's the only thing that makes some sound, but even then I have to open doors to notice it.

Thank you very much. Appreciate it.
Jim

dtownkennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck on finding a replacement pump? I’ve givin up hope on finding a replacement and saw this thread!!! Mine also has start up issues. Broke up my tank down and moved 3 years ago, still have all my equipment including the swc 160 skimmer. Have the itch to start up my tank again and messed with the skimmer, now the skimmer won’t even turn on. Searched high and low for a replacement pump and have found nothing.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up breaking my connector for one pump right at the body. Can not be repaired. Skimmer is setting on the junk shelf now. It was a beast too!

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck on finding a replacement pump? I’ve givin up hope on finding a replacement and saw this thread!!! Mine also has start up issues. Broke up my tank down and moved 3 years ago, still have all my equipment including the swc 160 skimmer. Have the itch to start up my tank again and messed with the skimmer, now the skimmer won’t even turn on. Searched high and low for a replacement pump and have found nothing.

I ordered THIS pump about a month ago. Note that the ViaAqua 2600 is the same as pump as the Atman 2500, with the exception of the impeller. Use the impeller from your old pump and you'll be fine for your SWC160.

ReefingFamily

"It's all about the colors"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered THIS pump about a month ago. Note that the ViaAqua 2600 is the same as pump as the Atman 2500, with the exception of the impeller. Use the impeller from your old pump and you'll be fine for your SWC160.

do you know if they have replacement impellers anywhere for the swc 160 atman pump? both the pump and impeller on mine are shot and I would love to get this going again.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when i sold these i dropped in a sicce 600 and sicce 1000 and they worked very well, 1000 being a bit to much. If i were to do this again I would just get a jebao pw pump and use it in the body. But the design of this skimmer and performance was just so good, perfect for around 700lph air on a 125g or smaller.

If you add in the new jebao pump your basically getting the coral box 500 here

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did this happen?

I have a SWC 160 skimmer and love it.........except for that POC Atman pump. I've lost count on how many pumps I've gone through...five, six, seven....not even sure. At one point I was going to get another skimmer just because replacement pumps were an ongoing problem. Knock on wood, my current pump has lasted more than a year (shhhh ;))

I actually searched high and low for alternate pumps, but nothing fit. Another skimmer brand also used Atmans and switched out this pump for a Sicce, but also had to modify the bubble plate....I think that upgrade kit was around $100.

Anyway, I still peruse the web looking to see if anyone has come up with a replacement and today hit upon the SWC site (actually Elite Reef Online, because after the CEO/Owner of SWC was indicted, the company pretty much ceased all development). This 160 looked different.....had a solid white box shaped base. When I clicked on information, this new 160 now comes with a Sicce 2500 pump. Looking at the redesign, I'm pretty sure the Sicce won't simply fit into the old style 160's.

Here's the NEW 160 picture:

SWC160.jpg

And here's the OLD 160 picture:

160-cone-swc.JPG

The first picture was actually before the second. The first was the xtreme 160 and that is when protein skimmer talks went bizarro back in '08-'12 and companies were all stealing designs. The sicce meshweel finally went away after realizing how unreliable they were. Then the atman 160 cone came out a few years later, worked great at first then the second, third, fourth wave came out and the impellers were larger and had startup issue's. Then they had pinwheels made and that really took care of the issue. But at this point you can buy the same design with a jebao dc pump for around $250 which is much better performer than an atman or sicce...etc.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you know if they have replacement impellers anywhere for the swc 160 atman pump? both the pump and impeller on mine are shot and I would love to get this going again.

Why this is a bummer.....appears that Atman pumps are totally gone / out of business. I did find one place in England selling them for way too much money. Impellers and ceramic shafts are still available on eBay. Dang, looks like I'm going to have to find a pump replacement or buy yet another skimmer. Other then the Atman pump, I like my SWC160!

Back when i sold these i dropped in a sicce 600 and sicce 1000 and they worked very well, 1000 being a bit to much. If i were to do this again I would just get a jebao pw pump and use it in the body. But the design of this skimmer and performance was just so good, perfect for around 700lph air on a 125g or smaller.

If you add in the new jebao pump your basically getting the coral box 500 here

I am very much interested in the details of fitting these replacement pumps into the SWC160. At one time, years ago, I looked at replacement pumps, and none matched the bubble plate attachment and alignment and attachment of the volute/venturi. Are you saying the Jabeo and Sicci pumps matched up?

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why this is a bummer.....appears that Atman pumps are totally gone / out of business. I did find one place in England selling them for way too much money. Impellers and ceramic shafts are still available on eBay. Dang, looks like I'm going to have to find a pump replacement or buy yet another skimmer. Other then the Atman pump, I like my SWC160!

I am very much interested in the details of fitting these replacement pumps into the SWC160. At one time, years ago, I looked at replacement pumps, and none matched the bubble plate attachment and alignment and attachment of the volute/venturi. Are you saying the Jabeo and Sicci pumps matched up?

I don’t believe any pump is going to be a perfect fit besides the atman 2500/via aqua2600. You will have to open up the bubble plate and possibly the Venturi opening.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back