SWFMAS 7th Annual Reef conference

Cubed Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join in on the fun at our 7th Annual SWFMAS Reef Conference in Fort Myers, FL!

This year we have the pleasure of hosting our first SWFMAS Banquet with a great guest speaker the evening before the big event!

On Saturday, you can enjoy 3 different educational lectures from famous, published and industry leading presenters and you can meet face to face with your favorite livestock sellers and equipment manufacturers. We also hold the largest reef related raffle in Southwest Florida and our sponsors were extremely generous with raffle items this year! Our events are always family friendly, social and fun.

Tickets and more information available at

SWFMAS Reef Conference

Speakers Include:

Murray Camp

Banquet Topic: The Future of the Hobby

Synopsis:

The changing face of the hobby in the face of environmental and regulatory pressures.

Topic: Algae Scrubbers and Other Advanced Filtration Techniques

Synopsis:

This presentation covers advances in filtration methodologies, including algae scrubbers, long-chain polymers and other carbon dosing techniques, and solid polymers for nutrient control.

Bob Fenner

Topic: Acclimating Marine Livestock for Businesses and Home Hobbyists

Synopsis:

Many saltwater organisms are lost simply due to inadequate or improper acclimating. Many folks not in the trade don't realize that collectors, distributors, transshippers, wholesalers, retailers and even hobbyists suffer most of their losses in the process of receiving new livestock.

When placing newly-arrived fishes, invertebrates, algae and live-rock into a new environment there arises the possibility of physical, chemical, biological and even social shock. This presentation shows how to avoid and otherwise ameliorate the effects of stress after it has occurred.

There are a wide range of possible acclimation techniques; depending mostly on the species at hand, its apparent health and conditions at reception. The varying prevailing methods are to some degree appropriate depending on these criteria. Whichever protocol is chosen, know that many losses can be avoided or reduced with careful acclimation.

Jake Adams

Topic: LED Lighting, 5 years brighter

Synopsis:

Jake has been testing and experimenting with lighting fish and coral aquariums with LED technology for more than five years. Having used just about every entry level, to high performance LED aquarium light, he has gleaned a lot of information about what makes fish look good and corals color up and grow well.

The LED talk is divided into two parts; a lean forward get-your-thinking-hat on introduction that covers all the basics of how LEDs work and what makes them work well. The second part is more relaxed, a rundown of what type of LEDs work well for different applications with lots of eye candy.

There is as much to know about LEDs as all other lighting combined but with a little effort it is possible to use LEDs to have very colorful, feature-rich and energy efficient aquarium lighting.

Raffle Items as of today:

Dry Goods Raffle Items

Ushio - winners choice of bulbs. Bulb will be shipped directly to you from Ushio (3 available)
San Francisco Bay/Ocean Nutrition - Mixed foods and feeders (59 items total)
Ocean Revive - T247 LED fixture
Reef on the Rocks - 50 lb box of rock
United Pet Group (MarineLand) - Reef Capable LED (24-36 inch) w/timer (2 available)
United Pet Group (Aquarium Systems) - SCPS 100J Seaclone Skimmer, HOB (2 available)
Tunze - 6026 Nanostream (1 available)
Aqua Engineering & Equipment - 1 filter set (prefilter, carbon block, DI) and 1 bag of GFO
Cobalt Aquatics - Mysis Flakes and Vegi Flakes (3 of each)
Boston Aqua Farms - Stoney Coral Frag Kit
Aqua Mags - 1 each of Rock Mag Jr, Frag Farm and 2-Pack Frag Mag
Santa Monica Filtration - HOG1 Algae Scrubber
Hamilton Technology - 2 each - LED Accent lighting strips, Digital Timer
The Alternative Reef - 5 pack of single frag plug frag rock (4 available), 2 pack of large single frag rock (1 available).
Omega Sea - 7 different flake and pellet foods
Roggers Reef Foods - 3 month supply of "Complete Blend Plus" (4 available)
Coral Magazine - 1 Year Subscription (or subscription renewal if you already have one) - (3 available)
Prodibio - BioKit Nano (6 available)

Livestock Raffle Items

JoshPorkSandwich Zoas - Zoa Frag Pack (4 or 5 frags)

Please join us for a fun filled day!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back