Swimming Pool Question - Mesh Cover

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we have pool people on the site. I need a little help with your opinion. My current cover....a simple polyethylene cover...has seen it's better days:

Pool Cover.jpg

I've had my fair share of covers, from sold vinyl to currently polyethylene....all solid covers. I've been looking at those safety covers with the straps and I'm considering a mesh cover. I don't want to be bothered by relying on a pump to pump off the water. It's my understanding that with solid safety covers, you have to have a float activated pump on it the entire time for when it rains. Anyway, I've never had a mesh cover and wanted to get opinions. THIS IS THE COVER company I've been looking at, and going with the BlocMesh 99....for me, around a thousand bucks. So I'd appreciate your opinion on mesh covers for your pool.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's the same cover we are ordering for our new pool install come August.

You just have to weigh out the Pro's and Cons.

Here is a good site that lists some of them

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Viva'sReef . That was very helpful. I didn't know about solid covers having the option of a mesh portion that allows drainage. The additional concern with solid is that they are not guaranteed as long as the mesh.

I'm just wondering how messy the pool would be with mesh. My experience with solid is that it's hit of miss. Some years we open, and the water is crystal clear. Other years, it's a mess. I do know my current cover is riddled with holes, and there is transfer of water. Expecting a mess this year.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you @Viva'sReef . That was very helpful. I didn't know about solid covers having the option of a mesh portion that allows drainage. The additional concern with solid is that they are not guaranteed as long as the mesh.

I'm just wondering how messy the pool would be with mesh. My experience with solid is that it's hit of miss. Some years we open, and the water is crystal clear. Other years, it's a mess. I do know my current cover is riddled with holes, and there is transfer of water. Expecting a mess this year.
My buddy a few houses down opened up already this year (crazy for Michigan lol) and he has the mesh and it wasn't bad at all and the robot cleaner cleaned it up in 1 day. Mostly just pollen and small particles at the bottom, no real algae issues at all.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't (or wouldn't want to) open yet because we have an oak tree that is putting out tumble weed curlycues right now. I couldn't even grill last night because they continued to fall on the grill. (And I just found out they are called catkins.....never knew that.)

catkins.jpg

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick with solid covers is to keep the cover from sagging and collecting water. I love the part where you try to pull the cover off carefully because it had half a ton of leaves on it, and then it slips and a cubic yard of dead leaves fall in anyways. Then the kids turn the pump on which causes the bottom filter to clog and burn your new pump up. You then get to go leaf diving with the skimmer net in 60 degree water. Fun times.

One trick my buddy uses is he throws Styrofoam coolers under the cover and keeps the pool filled during the winter. Water bill is the same if you think about it.

This keeps the cover elevated and most snow and water from collecting. He's too cheap to buy a mesh. A drawback with mesh is if it sags leaves and debris will soak in the water. Still easier to clean, but a bottle of phosphate remover is mandatory.

Don't forget the baking soda trick either. 5lbs of baking soda for every 10k of water. Eliminates chlorine burn and makes the water feel incredible.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back