Switching from ESV B ionic to brs 2 part.

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on switching to BRS Soda Ash for the ph levels. I’m currently dosing 23 ml o ESV Bionic to maintain of 7.6 DKH. What should i be dosing with BRS Soda Ash?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on switching to BRS Soda Ash for the ph levels. I’m currently dosing 23 ml o ESV Bionic to maintain of 7.6 DKH. What should i be dosing with BRS Soda Ash?

If you are using the ESV original (not the bicarbonate version), then to switch to my DIY recipe #1 (BRS uses this for their soda ash product), you will need to dose about 37 mL a day to match 23 mL a day of the ESV product.

Tanxalot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from orig ESV 2-part to BRS soda ash in attempt to boost PH and my alk is steadily dropping despite my doubling the amt dosed from 40ml ESV alk to 80ml soda ash. I mixed the soda ash following recommended 2 and 1/3 cups for 1g. I also run kalk in ATO so the extra volume of soda ash is slightly reducing the amt of kalk going in via ATO but this still is not making sense. Any ideas before I revert to ESV 2-part again? MG is 1449 so should not be interfering.

OP
OP
haitian_reefer

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from orig ESV 2-part to BRS soda ash in attempt to boost PH and my alk is steadily dropping despite my doubling the amt dosed from 40ml ESV alk to 80ml soda ash. I mixed the soda ash following recommended 2 and 1/3 cups for 1g. I also run kalk in ATO so the extra volume of soda ash is slightly reducing the amt of kalk going in via ATO but this still is not making sense. Any ideas before I revert to ESV 2-part again? MG is 1449 so should not be interfering.
I did not notice any ph boost myself. I did calibrate my probe and noticed my ph wasn’t really that bad.

Tanxalot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switching from BRS soda ash recipe to ESB B-ionic or the other way around would not be expected to have any effect on pH. Both are carbonate recipes.
Thank you for the replies. Does anyone know the actual split in ESV orig alk? The label lists carbonate as 1st ingredient but bicarb as 3rd ingredient... That is why I hoped for some PH boost by switching to pure soda ash.

Attachments

• 20220322_110802.jpg
    20220322_110802.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 58

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back