Switching from FOWLER to Reef seeking advice

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I am converting my 125 gallon Fowler tank to a reef tank. I have never kept coral before. I was wondering what advice those of you with experience would give? A little info about the tank. I have 4 Kessil 360X's, a Reef octopus 220INT, Carbon and GFO reactors, 55 gallon sump. Thank you kindly for your time.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as keeping coral is concerned it’s just a matter of maintaining the correct and stable water parameters. Think of yourself as just a ‘water keeper’.

You might find this helpful

And Welcome to R2R by the way!

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing for my 200 gallon DT, which we started up 4 years ago. Started as a FOWLR (I always wanted a porcupine puffer), but eventually just had to have corals. I had everything in place (large sump, huge skimmer) for water quality, but my lighting was not adequate. If you are having issues, lighting is a very likely culprit. Those Kessils seem like the kind of lighting you would want, but I've never used them.

One last piece of advice. As I was switching over, I tried to keep my angels and it caused me no end of grief. I would remove any (*ANY*) angels you have, and any wrasses that are not clearly reef safe. I no longer introduce any fish that is "with caution" for reef safety. It is not possible to watch the angels 24/7, and if they nip at corals even once a day it can cause issues that you try to solve with other solutions and next thing you know you are down a rabbit hole… (been there, done that).

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back