Switching from HOB to Sump any Advice Appreciated

New2Reefn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a year into the hobby and have been strictly 35 Gallon HOB filtration I am in the process of setting a 75 Gallon with sump included system and terrified of the unknown! I have had great success and all of my corals and fish are thriving in the current HOB tank so I am looking for advice on the best way to transition to the new setup. I currently monitor all levels and dose manually if needed for mag calcium and alkalinity. ( I have 3 clams and a flame scallop that inhale calcium) I seed copepods and phyto monthly from the algae barn. (Blue Mandarin and Red Scooter Blenny thriving) I am sure there will be a million questions that I don't even know enough yet to ask but here are my first concerns.

Copepods: With a sump setup should I still seed the display tank or isolate a sump chamber?

Protein Skimmer: Will a skimmer keep the water too clean for my inverts that are accustomed to a "dirty" tank.

Automatic Dosing: Are there any suggestions on a dosing system that is easiest to set exact levels for calcium and alk?

This is all of the info I have so far on the new tank I will update with more details when I get it home and set back up. It is coming from the owner of my lfs and was his personal tank for 10 years it was corals only but they are thriving should I keep the water or start from scratch with fresh and cycle it myself?

75 gallon rimless with overflow

Birch plywood stand

Trigger sump

Heater

Ecotech Variable speed main water pump

APEX EL

50 pounds of rock and the sand that is in it and the water if you want to transport the water

ATI programmable light fixture

2 x Reef Breeder LED lights to complete the hybrid light and mounting bars.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m presuming you will setup the new tank and allow time for the new rock to get settled? I would seed the tank with algae barn too.

once it’s past any mini cycle it should be fine to bring the other tanks inhabitants into the new tank.

maybe run the skimmer for only a few hours per day to avoid over cleaning the water?

OP
OP
New2Reefn

New2Reefn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m presuming you will setup the new tank and allow time for the new rock to get settled? I would seed the tank with algae barn too.

once it’s past any mini cycle it should be fine to bring the other tanks inhabitants into the new tank.

maybe run the skimmer for only a few hours per day to avoid over cleaning the water?
Your presumption is correct, I will be a week or so at least working on scaping and will not even consider moving over the mandarin until I see plenty of copepod activity in the new tank. I will move the corals first.

Brilliant idea...I never considered only running the skimmer part-time. Maybe for a couple of hours after feeding

OP
OP
New2Reefn

New2Reefn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the scaping done, Totally by accident I seem to have created a golem for one of the structures.
Golem Aquascape.jpeg
o_O

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since it is already moved, my advice will not make much sense. I would have gotten rid of water and sand (unless you thoroughly rinsed sand) and left rock live during the process to avoid cycle.

I usually seed my sump with copepods, but always throw a bit in the main too. You will like a sump. It houses all the less attractive components. :) Kind of like hiding during a family picture. I try to hide as best as I can. :)

Good luck!!! Looks like a great new set up!

OP
OP
New2Reefn

New2Reefn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since it is already moved, my advice will not make much sense. I would have gotten rid of water and sand (unless you thoroughly rinsed sand) and left rock live during the process to avoid cycle.

I usually seed my sump with copepods, but always throw a bit in the main too. You will like a sump. It houses all the less attractive components. :) Kind of like hiding during a family picture. I try to hide as best as I can. :)

Thanks, I have set up the sump with the algae barn refugium pack and double-loaded it and the display with copepods. I bought kessel fuge light, How long do you run your sump lighting?

I am loving it so far but still terrified to move the cope eating critters over. My little tank has a cope explosion lol.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an algae scrubber so it is on 16hrs a day. The lights are only on it due to storing some corals in the sump when my 40g cracked the other day. Otherwise, no other lights on the sump. Copepods do not need them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back