Switching from LED to Metal Halide

paul17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a good amount of retailers still out there if you call reef bright talk with joy or toleo there make there own bulbs and you can get them thru mark at melev"s reef .com

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that! What type of ballast do these require ?

Oh I feel like a newbie again
Well you have to start with which fixture you choose in regard to lamp type
1. Mogul is single ended socket type
2. Your other option; Double ended, press in.
I prefer mogul aka single ended fixtures. Mostly because the lamps I like come in that format and I heard the ceramic press in socket can be fragile and break over time on the double ended.

From there decide how many watts you need. High light corals in a standard dim tank using Reefbrite's pendant you'll most likely want 250w. Using Reefbrite's ballast would guarantee it would be a plug and play system. The only issue you could run into is the connection from ballast to pendant being different.

If you know for sure you want 250w or 400w the reebrite ballasts are awesome in my experience with them. You don't have to run the ReefBrite lamps if you don't want to. I know hamilton lamps work great on them, I'm sure others would as well.

If you're on the edge on whether you will for sure get away with a 250w then that's where a selectable watt (250w-400w type) ballast can edge them out. Say on a tank that's 26"+ deep and acro dominant, you'd be riding the limits of 250w lamps. I'd also consider selectable watt ballast if you're considering running 250w Radiums. That would give you the option to overdrive them if too blue at 250w.

Hope that helps some.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Well you have to start with which fixture you choose in regard to lamp type
1. Mogul is single ended socket type
2. Your other option; Double ended, press in.
I prefer mogul aka single ended fixtures. Mostly because the lamps I like come in that format and I heard the ceramic press in socket can be fragile and break over time on the double ended.

From there decide how many watts you need. High light corals in a standard dim tank using Reefbrite's pendant you'll most likely want 250w. Using Reefbrite's ballast would guarantee it would be a plug and play system. The only issue you could run into is the connection from ballast to pendant being different.

If you know for sure you want 250w or 400w the reebrite ballasts are awesome in my experience with them. You don't have to run the ReefBrite lamps if you don't want to. I know hamilton lamps work great on them, I'm sure others would as well.

If you're on the edge on whether you will for sure get away with a 250w then that's where a selectable watt (250w-400w type) ballast can edge them out. Say on a tank that's 26"+ deep and acro dominant, you'd be riding the limits of 250w lamps. I'd also consider selectable watt ballast if you're considering running 250w Radiums. That would give you the option to overdrive them if too blue at 250w.

Hope that helps some.
I’m looking at the reefbrite with blue strips
. My tank is 26+ deep, so you think 400watt is the best ballast size ?

What are the cons of Hamilton vs Reefbrite

31808FB0-5032-45D9-9F59-D26DAF33834D.png

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm at 26" and feel like I'm on the line but haven't done PAR readings yet. Corals look happy.

Acro dominant or highlight coral dominant with top to bottom goals, I think you'll be covered for sure with 400w. Probably the safest bet. You can throw a ton of MH at sticks as long as you acclimate them. If you're closer to 30, I'd be going 400w personally.

It's more preference than anything else between those lamps. I believe the Reefbrites cost more because there are two arching elements per bulb. They rotate with each cycle of the ballast to give you more longevity between bulb changes. I guess if one element were to fail you could buy yourself some time until another lamp showed up but I always keep a backup on hand, regardless of make.

I bought my system used and it came with an assortment of RB lamps, different color temperatures. For my eye I just prefer the 14k Hamilton but who knows how many hours were on the RB lamps. I think quite a few as the 14k almost look a little dim to me. Not the fairest of comparisons though.

The price point on hamilton is nice. Buying from Hamilton you'll have to pay shipping, so factor that in if price is a deciding factor. If you go direct, they do make sure you have lamps from the same batch which is nice.

Both companies/owners are responsive and great to work with/ask questions/get answers.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

When it comes to fixtures, Hamilton is now out of the game so Reef Brite is about the only one left.

The Hamilton 20k bulb was great. I ran it for more than a year on my last tank. If I don’t love the Radium I bought last week, I’m going to grab a Ushio 14k and try it. Even though I feel it will be too white for my own taste. After that, it’s back to the Hamilton 20k.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm at 26" and feel like I'm on the line but haven't done PAR readings yet. Corals look happy.

Acro dominant or highlight coral dominant with top to bottom goals, I think you'll be covered for sure with 400w. Probably the safest bet. You can throw a ton of MH at sticks as long as you acclimate them. If you're closer to 30, I'd be going 400w personally.

It's more preference than anything else between those lamps. I believe the Reefbrites cost more because there are two arching elements per bulb. They rotate with each cycle of the ballast to give you more longevity between bulb changes. I guess if one element were to fail you could buy yourself some time until another lamp showed up but I always keep a backup on hand, regardless of make.

I bought my system used and it came with an assortment of RB lamps, different color temperatures. For my eye I just prefer the 14k Hamilton but who knows how many hours were on the RB lamps. I think quite a few as the 14k almost look a little dim to me. Not the fairest of comparisons though.

The price point on hamilton is nice. Buying from Hamilton you'll have to pay shipping, so factor that in if price is a deciding factor. If you go direct, they do make sure you have lamps from the same batch which is nice.

Both companies/owners are responsive and great to work with/ask questions/get answers.
If you go 400W make sure you have enough clearance above the tank to mount them without causing damage.
Due to the height of my stand I was only able to go as high as 12"-14."

IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go 400W make sure you have enough clearance above the tank to mount them without causing damage.

IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
Dang! Do you think that was due to heat or UV?
I have a eurobraced tank so mines all glass.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
My tank is glass would that be an issue with Reefbrite metal halide

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back