Switching from LFS natural seawater to LFS premixed

Sunny in Miami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using natural seawater from LFS for 2 years and now I would like to make the switch to premixed LFS saltwater. Should I make small weekly water changes till the water parameters level out?. My LFS says I can proceed with a weekly Wc and that it won't cause problems but I am afraid to make a normal 4 gallon WC and cause the inhabitants to die. I tested the new water parameters and they differ a little. For example my tanks natural SW ph =8.1 and the premixed SW =8.3. Alkalinity : my tank water is @ 9.4 and premixed is @8.9 . I have yet to test for salinity of premixed SW.
Has anyone done a switch to synthetic from natural seawater? Thankyou in advance for your help.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using natural seawater from LFS for 2 years and now I would like to make the switch to premixed LFS saltwater. Should I make small weekly water changes till the water parameters level out?. My LFS says I can proceed with a weekly Wc and that it won't cause problems but I am afraid to make a normal 4 gallon WC and cause the inhabitants to die. I tested the new water parameters and they differ a little. For example my tanks natural SW ph =8.1 and the premixed SW =8.3. Alkalinity : my tank water is @ 9.4 and premixed is @8.9 . I have yet to test for salinity of premixed SW.
Has anyone done a switch to synthetic from natural seawater? Thankyou in advance for your help.
So long as you’re not changing more than 25%,
and so long as the salinity is +/- 1ppm, you shouldn’t have any issues just starting WCs with the new water. Something kind of odd, NSW has an alkalinity of around 7dkh, do you dose your tank to raise your alkalinity up to 9.4? If not, the lfs isn’t selling natural sea water.

I would really recommend getting your own RODI unit and making your own salt water. It’s cheaper, more reliable/convenient, and more trustworthy. What happens when you need to do a massive WC and you’re out of water and the LFS is closed?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as you’re not changing more than 25%,
and so long as the salinity is +/- 1ppm, you shouldn’t have any issues just starting WCs with the new water. Something kind of odd, NSW has an alkalinity of around 7dkh, do you dose your tank to raise your alkalinity up to 9.4? If not, the lfs isn’t selling natural sea water.

I would really recommend getting your own RODI unit and making your own salt water. It’s cheaper, more reliable/convenient, and more trustworthy. What happens when you need to do a massive WC and you’re out of water and the LFS is closed?
This 100%

NSW is around 7, if your tank is 9.4 how are we getting there? Is the supposed NSW measure around 9? If so thats certainly not NSW, but premixed SW. Your being duped by your LFS if this is the case.

As long as ALK, CAL, and MAG are somewhat inline with where your NSW comes in at, just do normal WC. It wont effect a thing. If parameters are drastically different, then doctor it up to match your tank, and just do your normal WC.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only that generally NSW salinity is around 1.027-1.028 well mine is, and I have to dilute with RODI water which then affects the ALK, MAG and calcium levels, but saying that I have a 35L water change down to a T with the same measurements of RODI and dosing the big 3 to make it consistent

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

• I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

• Other.

Back