Switching from Randys 2 part to Triton Elementz, how much to dose?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Epicreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to switch my 60g peninsula from Randy's 2 part recipe 1 to Triton Elementz and I was wondering if anyone can give me an approximate conversion. Randy's alkalinity recipe 1 is supposed to be ~5,300 DKH, after looking at Elementz 1, disolving it and doing some math I expect it to be around 2,750 to 3000DKH. But really its just speculation at this point, I'll do a titration test tomorrow to double check. So I would want to change my dosing unit to about 1.75X its current rate to be adding the same amount of alkalinity.

I just want to make this transition as simple as possible. I'm sure that someone out there has done this switch, any advice on a rough conversion would be great, maybe even Triton could chime in?

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to switch my 60g peninsula from Randy's 2 part recipe 1 to Triton Elementz and I was wondering if anyone can give me an approximate conversion. Randy's alkalinity recipe 1 is supposed to be ~5,300 DKH, after looking at Elementz 1, disolving it and doing some math I expect it to be around 2,750 to 3000DKH. But really its just speculation at this point, I'll do a titration test tomorrow to double check. So I would want to change my dosing unit to about 1.75X its current rate to be adding the same amount of alkalinity.

I just want to make this transition as simple as possible. I'm sure that someone out there has done this switch, any advice on a rough conversion would be great, maybe even Triton could chime in?

This sounds good! Although I don't have the strength of elementz 1 at my fingertips I will try to find out for you. I will say that the new Core7 elements are 7 times the concentration of the Base Elementz and Part 1 is a liquid now instead of powder. The first batch arrives this week at Unique.

OP
OP
Epicreefster

Epicreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my testing with a Hanna checker gave me 1.9ml of Triton 1 = 1ml of Randy's recipe one. I went with 2:1 because I had low levels, 6.8dkh. So before triton I was at 118ppm alk, at 24hrs I was at 122ppm, at 48hrs I was at 120ppm. So it looks like the 1.9:1 ratio is spot on, but I obviously need to up my levels. I have about a 200l system and am dosing 52ml, about .75 Dkh a day. I also did a big tank cleaning last weekend, a few weeks ago while on vacation my skimmer failed and I came back to an algae plague and some bleached sps, they have recovered and are hitting their stride again. Can't say for sure yet but maybe the micro elements are giving a boost as well. Probably going to try the system on an upcoming 500g tank and see how it goes but at this rate I would need 500ml a day so we'll see how that goes... Then probably switch to core 7 at some point.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back