Switching gears build thread

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I really like the hard scape. I like scapes with two islands with a valley between them. Mine is very similar, but scaled down to a 55 gallon.

Are you just using one noctua fan for ventilation?

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 fans to wire in. They will of course be on the back panel. Hoping to get this thing up with water and cycling soon.
IMG_4432.JPG

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally pushing to get something done. Leak checks done (I think). Have to wire everything to make sure where to put the outlets. Making good progress on the rock scape. Right side is first pic - it is actually 3 parts that come together. Left side is two parts and getting there...
IMG_4535.JPG
IMG_4536.JPG

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pushing to get the aquascape done - one major piece needs to dry for 24 hrs, but got everything else in. Not sure if I will use all the lps islands, but gauging how much I can squeeze in. Video shows front and top view so far.

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of updates - aquascape is done. Changed out the powerheads to 4 octopulse 4s powered with a hydros wave engine. Have the returns going in the back ends toward the center and one powerhead on the each bottom back towards the center, one powerhead on each front top towards the center. Just waiting on some extension cables for them. Tested the T5 lighting and ajusted the height so they will be just under the top of the canopy to prevent light spill. Modified the canopy to allow a custom screen top and installed 4 large fans. Have a UV on order not sure how I'm going to plumb it yet. Getting close to pushing back the stand, filling, and cycling the tank!
IMG_4574.JPG

IMG_4575.JPG
IMG_4576.JPG
IMG_4577.JPG

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the reefis updated and ready. Had to ditch the canopy due to the depth of the tank - it was impossible to work in the tank with it on. Still have to plumb the UV and now thinking about a track to move the lights out of the way while I work in the tank. Big news is water is in the tank - only RO/DI right now, but getting the sand and rubble out and clean before I put the salt in and turn on the heaters.
IMG_4666.JPG
IMG_4667.JPG
IMG_4665.JPG

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not much to update - Decided to build a permanent frag/grow out system so because of that I'm going to switch up the lighting from reefi to reefbreeders so I can keep the same lighting over both systems. Water has been running in the system and it started cycling without any intervention. Had a bacteria bloom but now seems to have subsided. Waiting to put the fish in the tank until I get the liverock from Tampa Bay but they are having problems collecting with all the storms.

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to fire up this thread again! Finally got some liverock from Tampa Bay to seed the tank. Put 50 lbs in the sump for now. Going to throw on a refugium light to see if it keeps the coralline going. First fish graduated from QT - 3 wrasse, 1 cardinal (lost one the night before transfer) 2 firefish and a midas blenny. Both QTs are re-loaded with fish - #1 has a one spot foxface, 2 scissortail dartfish, and a starry blenny. QT #2 got filled today with a purple tang, Tomini Tang, Hippo Tang (tiny) and a flame hawkfish. Just got the lights in for this tank and the coral growout.
20201125_181929.jpg
20201125_181713.jpg
20201125_181959.jpg
20201125_182004.jpg

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
second batch of fish went in this week. Turned the lights on - maybe too early since algae took an instant foothold. Found it interesting I have algae in this tank using dry rock (seeded with live in the sump) while in my growout I have basically nothing taking hold so far and it only has live rock in the sump. Exact same lights, exact same schedule. Only difference is no fish in the growout yet (so that means no food going in either)

20201230_150853.jpg
20201230_150901.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back