Switching QT from Cupramine to Copper Power

Agustin Martinez III

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 10gal QT tank has been a source of frustration with my 40gal DT restart. I've had a difficult time dialing in the copper levels using Cupramine. I'm using the Hanna checker to test the copper and am having a hard time keeping it above .5pp. I understand the Hanna Checker has a +/- .05 variance in its readings so I was originally shooting for .58-.6ppm readings. I'm thinking of completely switching over to Copper Power since it has a wider range of therapeutic levels.

I know I cannot mix these two different types of copper in the same tank. My plan is as follows:

1. Put QT fish (1x clownfish) in saltwater bucket with heater and powerhead.
2. 100% water change of QT with fresh saltwater and rinse all equipment.
3. Run a bag of carbon in HOB for 1 week.
4. Begin adding Copper Power

Am I missing anything in this process? Is it a bad idea to switch copper types so suddenly?

Thank you for any advice and guidance.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wash and then rinse the QT and equipment with vinegar, it will cause the copper to precipitate into a harmless form. Let dry and then ok to set back up.

OP
OP
Agustin Martinez III

Agustin Martinez III

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wash and then rinse the QT and equipment with vinegar, it will cause the copper to precipitate into a harmless form. Let dry and then ok to set back up.
I completed the tank water change over a few hours. Rinsed with vinegar and then hand dried with a towel. Going to run a bag of carbon for the next week to remove the remaining copper. My ammonia alert tags changed colors when I put the new water in. Is it possible it's just a reaction to being exposed to air for certain period? It's all new water and I dosed with Dr. Tim's "One and Only". I didn't think ammonia could spike that fast.

IMG_3346.jpg

OP
OP
Agustin Martinez III

Agustin Martinez III

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using a small flashlight to illuminate the badges from "behind." See if the color looks better to you.
I used my phone's flashlight and shined it behind the tank. The ammonia alert matched the yellow (0ppm) perfectly. @Big G Thanks for the advice and guidance on this. Fish is eating and swimming around great, successful QT transition. I really appreciate it!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back