Switching RR 210g from Durso to Herbie or Bean

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into switching my RR 210g from the stock Durso standpipes over to either a Herbie or Bean style overflow. It has a sets of 1" bulkheads in each weir and I would like to run a single return.

Currently I'm looking at doing a single herbie on one side with the return and 2nd emergency on the other (dry side). I'll be running a Fluval SP6 as the return and I think that after head height I wont have to worry about the roughly 1700 gph flow limit on a single 1" pipe.

I'd be interested if there was a way to incorporate the bean setup so that I could keep both weirs wet while still running a return through one and not needing more than the 3 bulkheads on my sump. Issue with the bean is i'm not sure how it would balance if I put the primary and emergency in one side and the secondary and return in the other.

Any thoughts/advice?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why you couldn't do as noted with the primary siphon / overflow on one end and the return / emergency on the other. I did a herbie on my 65 RR with the return over the tank brace. Those dursos are nothing but a pain.

Maybe someone can point out a reason why it wouldn't work.

OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why you couldn't do as noted with the primary siphon / overflow on one end and the return / emergency on the other. I did a herbie on my 65 RR with the return over the tank brace. Those dursos are nothing but a pain.

Maybe someone can point out a reason why it wouldn't work.

My concern is that since the pipes are in separate weirs I wouldn't be able to balance the flow out since the bean works on the principle that the primary and secondary are in the same body of water and control the water height with the closing of the secondary (trickle) drain. With the primary and emergency in the same drain the water height could probably end up being set to the height of the emergency and basically turn into a herbie.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern would be stagnant water on one side... why not run both sides herbie and return over the top?

OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern would be stagnant water on one side... why not run both sides herbie and return over the top?
I'll go that route if I have to but I'd prefer to stick to 3 drains or less so I can use 1 built-in return and the 3 drain bulkheads on my sump.

OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably will end up doing a modified beam with the primary and secondary in one weir and a dry weir on the other side with the emergency and return.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably will end up doing a modified beam with the primary and secondary in one weir and a dry weir on the other side with the emergency and return.

This option would work best to minimize the total number of bulkheads in your overflows. To make both overflows active would require a “balance pipe” between the two overflows. Although some would argue they have been able to balance out two separate overflows running full syphon drains...it would lack stability.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back