Switching sump out on Red Sea Reefer 170

gavinb612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, i’m not happy with my reefer 170’s sump. No dedicated fuge chamber, no ability to customize or do anything. I was wanting to swap it out, the dimensions are tight but I did find a fiji cube sump with what i’d want https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fiji...MI5fumi-eU-AIVdfTjBx3zCw4kEAQYASABEgKOePD_BwE

By measuring, this would fit perfectly. My concern is plumbing, I’m usually a whole set up kinda guy, I typically don’t plumb anything myself, so i’m wondering what all parts i would need and how difficult it would be to do so. Thanks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just at a quick glance you should be able to retain the plumbing for your return pump - but the overflow pipes are on the opposite side, ie: from lower right to back left. So these would need to be redone. My advice would be to contact Red Sea to obtain their Imperial bulkhead conversion kit and then you can use this to design a new set of overflow pipes from scratch (as all the plumbing for Red Sea is in metric).

OP
OP
gavinb612

gavinb612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just at a quick glance you should be able to retain the plumbing for your return pump - but the overflow pipes are on the opposite side, ie: from lower right to back left. So these would need to be redone. My advice would be to contact Red Sea to obtain their Imperial bulkhead conversion kit and then you can use this to design a new set of overflow pipes from scratch (as all the plumbing for Red Sea is in metric).
Ok, appreciate the reply! I wasn’t aware that was something they had, i don’t see it for sale anywhere, so it’s only through them?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, appreciate the reply! I wasn’t aware that was something they had, i don’t see it for sale anywhere, so it’s only through them?
Right now I believe you can only obtain it directly through Red Sea. They don't even have a part number for it on their website, so your best bet is to contact them for details.

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck? Following
I am going to move forward with upgrading to the Fiji 20 sump in the next month or so. Based on the info from another post I contacted Red Sea about their metric to standard bulkhead screw thing and they said part # R42436 is what you need. This is the only site I found it listed on https://fishtanksdirect.com/red-sea-3-4-and-1-pipe-connector-for-all-reefers-not-g2-series/ but it is out of stock. Red Sea said I had to have a dealer order them, so in a few weeks my LFS will have 3 in for me. Once I have all the parts gathered I'll make a new thread to go through what I do.

Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to move forward with upgrading to the Fiji 20 sump in the next month or so. Based on the info from another post I contacted Red Sea about their metric to standard bulkhead screw thing and they said part # R42436 is what you need. This is the only site I found it listed on https://fishtanksdirect.com/red-sea-3-4-and-1-pipe-connector-for-all-reefers-not-g2-series/ but it is out of stock. Red Sea said I had to have a dealer order them, so in a few weeks my LFS will have 3 in for me. Once I have all the parts gathered I'll make a new thread to go through what I do.
If you haven’t ordered yet I found this on eBay. 15% off right now!! Makes is $305.

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should try to write up a post this week. I got it changed out but I really didn't plan out and measurw as well as I should have. I definitely took the longer, harder, more expensive route. I still have some work to do on it. My UV sterilizer doesn't fit under the stand anymore so I'm going to try to hook it up behind the stand and hope all the needed elbows don't cut my flow too much.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back