switching tanks

loganzielke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank is a 10 gallon reef. I am getting a 34 gallon. I'm just wondering what the best way to switch everything over.

thank you :)

OP
OP
loganzielke

loganzielke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my plan is to move everything over. Then add a little more rock and fill with new saltwater.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have stocked in your current build?

You're certainly going to experience a cycle in your new tank. You can reduce or eliminate this period by utilizing your substrate and/or live rock from your current setup, but take care to wash your substrate first in tap water. I'd certainly get an ammonia badge for your new tank so you can be alerted to any spike in levels if you're not running some type of sensor like a Seneye. I doubt you'll have enough substrate (if you have any) in your old tank for the new one, so you'll have to add some new sand.

I'm also going to disagree somewhat with the suggestion that you proceed quickly and, instead, proceed with caution. Wait until the new tank cycles fully before putting anything in it. And keep that old 10g tank for a quarantine or hospital tank. The worst thing that you can do is move everything over, experience an ammonia spike, and then lose everything.

OP
OP
loganzielke

loganzielke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 clownfish some zoas, duncan, toadstool and some star polyps. I have a lot of live rock to add I also have a 65 gallon with lots of rock I can add. I plan on adding some sand later on.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the sand first. It'll just fly around the tank and cloud it up if you add it later, and it will accumulate in places you may not want, and you'll just have to move your aquascape again.

Adding live rock from an established system will always help, but you can also add filtration material from an existing tank in your new build, which will help with cycling. But it doesn't sound like this is an emergency move, so why rush?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have stocked in your current build?

You're certainly going to experience a cycle in your new tank. You can reduce or eliminate this period by utilizing your substrate and/or live rock from your current setup, but take care to wash your substrate first in tap water. I'd certainly get an ammonia badge for your new tank so you can be alerted to any spike in levels if you're not running some type of sensor like a Seneye. I doubt you'll have enough substrate (if you have any) in your old tank for the new one, so you'll have to add some new sand.

I'm also going to disagree somewhat with the suggestion that you proceed quickly and, instead, proceed with caution. Wait until the new tank cycles fully before putting anything in it. And keep that old 10g tank for a quarantine or hospital tank. The worst thing that you can do is move everything over, experience an ammonia spike, and then lose everything.
I meant once he starts the process to do it as quickly as possible, not cutting corners of course. Also if he's transferring all rock, sand, etc... there shouldn't be a cycle if done properly and no extra bioload is added right away. I just did it in July and I think it's the last time but went from a 90g replaced by a 180g.

OP
OP
loganzielke

loganzielke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to move it as quick as I can. the new tank is going where the old tank was. I will have all my saltwater mixed the night before I just cant have 3 tanks running at the same time.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of this part of it this way (in rough numbers): If you put 10 gallons of ‘old’ water into a 34 gallon tank, and add 24 gallons of ‘new’ water, it’s just like doing a large percentage water change. (Ok— maybe 9 gallons so you don’t take up the bottom-sand water with all the trapped crud.) So personally from a 10 to a 34 I would go old water, old rock, and old (but rinsed) sand. Shouldn’t cause a problem.

OP
OP
loganzielke

loganzielke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved everything over a few days ago and everything seems to be doing good :). thanks for all the replies!

Attachments

• video-1638134499.mp4
    3.1 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back