tank stocking

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to create a 10 gallon reef tank. I am wondering what the best tank mates and corals/anemones would be best for a beginner. I am thinking of getting a clownfish as a main fish. my tank is a 10 gallon long and needs to have reef safe stocking

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about crabs of any sort, star fish or others?
Stay away from traditional starfish. Those should only be added to established tanks and are really only for intermediate-advanced hobbyists due to their diet. You can however add a serpent star (if you can find one)

Crabs, you can add red leg hermits, blue leg hermits, and an emerald crab (if you have algae. otherwise nip at your fish and coral)

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely will need various snails and maybe an emerald crabs if you get bubble algae. Could do a cleaner or blood shrimp. Definitely go slow and start with something like a toadstool, zoas, gsp that are more resistant to errors.

OP
OP
HaiFish

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from traditional starfish. Those should only be added to established tanks and are really only for intermediate-advanced hobbyists due to their diet. You can however add a serpent star (if you can find one)

Crabs, you can add red leg hermits, blue leg hermits, and an emerald crab (if you have algae. otherwise nip at your fish and coral)
Thanks! And what about good and hardy beginner corals and anemones

OP
OP
HaiFish

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely will need various snails and maybe an emerald crabs if you get bubble algae. Could do a cleaner or blood shrimp. Definitely go slow and start with something like a toadstool, zoas, gsp that are more resistant to errors.
Thanks! And what about good and hardy beginner corals and anemones

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do an anemone in a 10g, unless you don't want to put corals in it. You could maybe do a rock flower anemone, but any other easy anemones will move around the entire tank, stinging and killing any corals. They also can only be put in established tanks, you can put one in at the 6 month mark, but we generally recommend putting them after 1 to 2 years after the tank has been setup.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back