Synthetic Wood Flooring for under reef tank

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have experience with laminate/synthetic wood flooring in their house particularly with a fish tank?

My wife and I plan to have the carpet removed from our living room and have installed new flooring that looks like wood but is durable and waterproof.

Initially, i thought using a brand such as Shaw flooring through Costco would be a good idea, but homeowner reviews of Shaw’s flooring such as scratching, denting, and warping is making me reconsider.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have laminate and hate it. My boards are warped and seperate around the tank

. I would not put it under a tank again

It is inevitable water will get on and in it, then eventually warp, and mold depending on the amount of water.

Ideally i would put it on tile if there was a way you could work a design for that into the floor, they do sell waterproof flooring, it is basically updated vinyl flooring with printing on it.

I am not sure if they make a true waterproof laminate. We have a flooring guy here that may be able to help. Or see if there are a few other ideas like a rubber mat underneath

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PirateDan works for Va flooring I believe. Not sure if this is what he does but let’s see if he is around

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a LPV flooring because I felt more confident installing it myself and could save some money.

Overall I wish I went with a tile that mimicked wood. Sure it's a little more cold and hard on the feet and grout needs to be cleaned on occasion, but I think itd be much more durable in the long run. I don't have any separation but there are some hallow sounding areas around the house underfoot. With a American bulldog and a 4.5 year old I do have some scratching already as well.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go with Vinyl Planking. The Shaw vinyl planking has worked great for me;f 2 tanks, 8 dogs, 4 kids..... Also had Shaw LVP in my previous office with 8-10 dark-blue collar employees plus office staff, and after a quick wet mop it looked good as new. Wood, Laminate, anything with a wood sub-base has potential to absorb and swell. If you're sure about tank placement you could use a vinyl product with a sealed boarder, and optional emergency floor drain, a little (or a lot) larger than the stand in each direction. Kind of like an accent rug... This way the area directly around the tank were nearly waterproof and you could use any product of your liking if you decided against the original Shaw product.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C849B903-E999-48BB-BE75-BA61E86D5FCB.jpeg

When we bought our “new” home we had to remove all the carpet and repaint the whole place (30 year old house with a chain smoking owner ). We put porcilain wood tile and so far everything has been great!

clipperking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinyl plank works under my 225g. And my rodi over flowed and water was under there flooring and on it, for 8 hours or so and it didn't do any damage
4b6eb349121b711f881f65970fc7de05.jpg

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have experience with laminate/synthetic wood flooring in their house particularly with a fish tank?

My wife and I plan to have the carpet removed from our living room and have installed new flooring that looks like wood but is durable and waterproof.

Initially, i thought using a brand such as Shaw flooring through Costco would be a good idea, but homeowner reviews of Shaw’s flooring such as scratching, denting, and warping is making me reconsider.
Why not do porcelain tile that looks like wood floor? We did it throughout our entire home. This is what we have.

20180905_193522.jpg

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the PVC from lowes in cottage oak, so the grey SMARTCORE. Waterproof and is holding up well as far as scratches. Dog, kids, furniture rearranged by herself sometimes. Wish it had a pad under it, it sounds a little plasticky with shoes on I noticed.

Last edited:

PirateDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mohawk makes a waterproof LVT. Some even looks like wood. We lay the floor and silicone the perimeter. They did a demonstration held water for 3 hours. I’ve got old laminate and mine has held up good. With the newer laminates as long as you don’t get the cheapest you should be fine. I wouldn’t get from costco! Don’t get me wrong I love costco but not for my flooring.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back