System design feedback/thoughts wanted

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mega reef w/ display 'fuge idea got sidetracked but I am looking at downsizing a little and was hoping to get some feedback thoughts. I have an idea for the bulk of the equipment depending on how things shake out but I do have a couple things I could use some advice on.

Here's what I am thinking:

DT - 84" that is somewhere between 210g to 285g depending on what tank I decide to go with. Mixed reef (softies to SPS) and stocked heavily (I like all kinds of critters in my tanks) and there will be a few reef safe with caution fish choices (I've got my eye on some butterfly's and angels)
*Sump will either be under DT or behind the wall behind it (extremely limited space back there) - likely a Synergy w/ the clarisea roller fleece (60" or maybe custom size if they'll do it)
*Will be lit with mix of Orphek and Kessil's
*DT will be 84x26x24 or 84x28x28-ish (trying to find the largest dimensions I can fit down my stairwell)

Display 'fuge #1 - 36x__x__ (65 to 80g ish) Clam(s?) and fleshy LPS (Acans mostly) that can't go into the DT b/c of fish stocking choices.
Display 'fuge #2 - 36x__x__ (same 65 to 80g ish as DF #1) macro algae inspired by the plant tank at the LFS I worked at years ago. It was "Sue's" tank and she passed while I worked there and it was always an amazing looking tank and I thought it would be a neat way to pay homage.
*All tanks will have the same stand design and be right next to each other on the same wall
*DFs will be shorter and thinner front to back than the DT

Questions:
*I want to use one sump and feed the DF's from the central sump using separate "return" pumps for each DF, how do I balance all of that? Will I need more water flow through the sump to accommodate what is "leaving" to go to the sump?

*The clam display, I want to stick to smaller species but there is going to be a relatively small foot print (36x18-24). Realistically am I looking at one or two maxima's or squamosa's? Or is there space to squeeze more in there?

*Total system volume looks to be somewhere between 395 and 450 depending on final volumes, how do I figure out rough idea of how to stock? The tank is likely going to be heavily filtered given my propensity to overstock but I don't want to shoe horn too much in there.

*I originally wanted to do the display 'fuges on an opposite daylight cycle to the DT to avoid ph fluctuations but being right next to each other not sure that's an option anymore. I wanted to dose kalk during the day since that is when alkalinity is used the most (so I have read) without the opposite photo cycle do I need to dose the kalk at night?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the thoughts, feedback, and advice. The tank has to wait until the house gets rewired and the panel upgraded to something from this century, grounded, and 200 amp. So until then I am stuck in planning and overthinking mode. Eventually I'll start picking up equipment once I settle on final tank size.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With each tank having a separate overflow and return pump they'll balance just fine. The biggest issue I see is the back siphon when the pumps are off from all three tanks will mean a lot of water ending up in the sump. I think the bigger you can make your sump the better so that it has room for it.

btw I love the idea of a macro algae display fuge!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back