T 5 how high off water line

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is 60" L x 27" H x 24 deep. I have a 4' 4 bulb T 5 light, how far off the water is good??? No corals yet. I am making a DYI bracket to hold the fixture, so the bracket needs to be adjustable from 6" to 18" ?????

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is 60" L x 27" H x 24 deep. I have a 4' 4 bulb T 5 light, how far off the water is good??? No corals yet. I am making a DYI bracket to hold the fixture, so the bracket needs to be adjustable from 6" to 18" ?????

24" deep and the fixture at 48" in length on a 60" long tank, there's bound to be significant shadowing at the ends. The issue aside of the edges being shadowed would be par at the sand bed.

So with that fixture there has to be some compromise. Higher up, better light spread and coverage, but less par at the sand bed. Lower, more par to the sand bed, less side coverage.

If making a bracket to adjust the light height, I would allow adjustments from a couple inches from waterline, up to around 10" above waterline.

Your going to have to play with the height to get the most out of the fixtures limitations. Adding additional light fixtures may be needed down the road to get full tank coverage. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
D

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24" deep and the fixture at 48" in length on a 60" long tank, there's bound to be significant shadowing at the ends. The issue aside of the edges being shadowed would be par at the sand bed.

So with that fixture there has to be some compromise. Higher up, better light spread and coverage, but less par at the sand bed. Lower, more par to the sand bed, less side coverage.

If making a bracket to adjust the light height, I would allow adjustments from a couple inches from waterline, up to around 10" above waterline.

Your going to have to play with the height to get the most out of the fixtures limitations. Adding additional light fixtures may be needed down the road to get full tank coverage. Hope this helps!
OK great, My plan is to keep the coral rocks 6" from each side in the sand bed. So I should make my adjustments from 2 or 3" to 10 to 12". Thanks for the good info Flippers

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK great, My plan is to keep the coral rocks 6" from each side in the sand bed. So I should make my adjustments from 2 or 3" to 10 to 12". Thanks for the good info Flippers

Your welcome! I'd want adjustability from say 3" from waterline up to anywhere in between there and say up to 13". This will allow you flexibility and if you add additional light fixtures down the road.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thanks again for the info

Your welcome! Post a picture of your tank when you can or start a "build thread" in the members tank forum on Reef2reef! You'll get a shinny "build thread contributor badge"!

Best of luck and happy reefing!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back