T5 and MH lighting Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter re_vogel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

re_vogel

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
Central FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to buy a t5 or mh fixture for a sps/lps 60x24x24 aquarium(I'm not really interested in the single spectrum look of LEDs). Would I be better to do a single 60inch fixture or two 24inch fixtures? It seems that there are less bulb choices in the 60inch fixture. Also any other thoughts on options would be appreciated.

Thanks

Randall
 
Absolutely an option. I just figured two smaller fixtures might be easier to manage. Any specific thoughts on type?
 
All depends on the wattage of the 24" units. The 60 would put out better light, as its got stronger lamps than a 24, imo. Especially when your dealing with a 24" deep tank.
 
Last edited:
I agree with the above, id go with the larger fixture. Being a deeper tank you dont want to take the chance.
 
Thanks. Any thoughts on a specific fixture? Also, where can I go to get a idea on bulbs. I'm looking for something around 15-20000k.

Last, am I correct in saying that t5's are better the led's for lighting and coral growth.
 
Thanks. Any thoughts on a specific fixture? Also, where can I go to get a idea on bulbs. I'm looking for something around 15-20000k.

Blue Radium for MH.

Read this for T5 bulbs: http://home.comcast.net/~stevelarse...s/&PHPSESSID=bb519adc4028f78e62b0d33e6958633a


Last, am I correct in saying that t5's are better the led's for lighting and coral growth.

No. T5s, Halide, and LED all can grow coral. T5 and Halide are tried and true. LED takes a higher level of understanding of the light spectrum to fully harness their ability.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new