T5 dimmable ballasts for 80 watts?

Amadeus Rex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preparing to do a DIY hybrid T5/LED lighting setup. I'm having a hard time finding dimmable ballasts in USA for T5 lighting that is 60 inch/80 watts. Seen a few options in EU but none so far in USA that are dimmable at that size. Multiple options for dimmable ballasts in the USA that are 48 inch and under but none dimmable for anything over that size here. Anyone know of options for dimmable ballasts available for 80 watt/60 inch T5 lighting in the USA or do I need to order from overseas?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preparing to do a DIY hybrid T5/LED lighting setup. I'm having a hard time finding dimmable ballasts in USA for T5 lighting that is 60 inch/80 watts. Seen a few options in EU but none so far in USA that are dimmable at that size. Multiple options for dimmable ballasts in the USA that are 48 inch and under but none dimmable for anything over that size here. Anyone know of options for dimmable ballasts available for 80 watt/60 inch T5 lighting in the USA or do I need to order from overseas?
You likely wont find anything in USA as ATI and Geisemann are both from europe.
Those 80w 60" bulbs are proprietary and so are the dimmable ballasts that drive them.

That being said. Non dimming ballasts are available from BRS.

If ordering from overseas, be aware that the ballasts usually don't come in 120v.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May need to run either 4 ft bulbs or 3ft bulbs and double up. That 6 ft bulbs is a unicorn outside of aquarium applications as @Saltyreef said. Also with ordering overseas, your availability may be rubbish, somewhat quick, as they are pushing harder to phase out t5's.

OP
OP
A

Amadeus Rex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely wont find anything in USA as ATI and Geisemann are both from europe.
Those 80w 60" bulbs are proprietary and so are the dimmable ballasts that drive them.

That being said. Non dimming ballasts are available from BRS.

If ordering from overseas, be aware that the ballasts usually don't come in 1
Good info. Thanks. Looks as though it's best to go with the non-dimmable option in that case and stagger their on off times since I want to have some sort of ramp up and ramp down effect.

JaRRoT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Żywotność świetlówek T5 faktycznie spada przy dodatkowej funkcji ściemnia, wystarczy na około pół roku i konieczna jest wymiana źródła światła, w Europie są jeszcze dostępne bo sam ich używam ale koszt zakupu rośnie

OP
OP
A

Amadeus Rex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The service life of T5 fluorescent lamps actually decreases with an additional dimming function, it is enough for about half a year and it is necessary to replace the light source, in Europe they are still available because I use them myself but the cost of purchase increases
I hope this translation of your post was accurate, Jarrot. That’s quite interesting that you have found the dimmable ballasts decrease the life of the bulb by 50%. Having to change the bulbs every six months also would be a reason for me to just go with the non-dimmable ballasts. Thank you

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back