T5 Fixture and GFI

piranhaman00

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 24, 2019
Messages
5,096
Reaction score
4,887
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I had a 4 bulb VIVOSUN t5 fixture set up without issue for a few weeks but decided I needed an eight bulb. I got the 8 bulb set up but it instantly trips the GFI. I am assuming bad ballast?

Is it necessary to have light fixture plugged into GFI?
 
Does the light work on a different outlet not tied into the gfi?
 
I would suspect the GFCI over a brand new fixture as they can go bad or get sensitive.
 
I am finding lots of information online about ballasts tripping gfi outlets, I also have a pentair UV that I run on a non gfi for the same issue.

I’m debating just running it without gfi, gfi only protects if something goes into the water no? This isn’t possible with my set up for the lights.
 
Last edited:
Gfci will trip if it detects and imbalance in voltage and or a ground fault. Sometimes gfci devices do get very touchy through time and will trip easier than normal and that is the reason we do not install them on fridges or freezers. Is the device tripping as soon as you turn it on? Or does it run for a bit and then trip? Also is it a new brand new fixture?
 
Gfci will trip if it detects and imbalance in voltage and or a ground fault. Sometimes gfci devices do get very touchy through time and will trip easier than normal and that is the reason we do not install them on fridges or freezers. Is the device tripping as soon as you turn it on? Or does it run for a bit and then trip? Also is it a new brand new fixture?

some GFI trip instantly and others let it run for 10-20 mins.

Brand new fixture. It’s a cheap 200$ horticulture 8 bulb t5. I’m doing research and many of these horticultural t5 fixtures say they cannot be used with gfi right in the instructions. I’m wondering if the cheap ballasts are the issue.

I ordered a replacement to see if that fixes it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new